Chapter Nine - Reconciliation

Andrea's POV

I'm binge-watching Grey's Anatomy to take my mind off Tariq. I accept that people do bad things all the time and the sooner I come to terms with the obvious the faster I'll be able to move on. My phone battery was dead and I did not bother to switch the phone on after plugging it in. I remove it from the charger and decide to turn it on in the event Nea is calling. Immediately messages start pouring in. I have one missed call from Nea and four from Tariq. The memories of earlier come flooding back and I feel hurt all over again. I am about to dial Neandra's number when I hear the intercom buzz, someone is at the gate for me.

I wonder who it could be at this time of the night. It's minutes to eight based on the time on the clock. I press the receiver to ask who it is when I hear that deep baritone voice.

"It's me, Andrea, may I come in?" He asks.

My traitorous body responds to the sound of his voice. I take a deep breath, put on the sternest voice I could muster before responding.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Tariq."

"Andrea, I'm sorry but something major happened, please just let me in so I can explain."

I am interested to know how he's going to explain away a fiance.

"Ok, you can come up for a short while."

I open the gate and I move to open the door when I remember he has a key. I gave him a key two days ago because I hated having to get out of bed to let him in when he comes in late from the studio. Who knows what was keeping him so late at his studio. I sigh, I'm going to just remain single forever after this.

He enters the apartment and I immediately get concerned. He looks exhausted and his white collared shirt is crumbled and soiled.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

He looks at me then drops himself beside me on the sofa. I feel like reaching out to hold him but I refrain from doing so.

"Andrea, I'm so sorry I missed our date," he begins, "but I couldn't help it."

He tells me about the events of the evening, about his baby mother and her struggle with substance abuse and what prevented him from reaching out to me. His story sounds a bit believable but doubts still crowd my mind.

"Why did she have your phone?" I ask.

He blows down before responding, "I was about to call you and then she started vomiting, so I put down the phone and she must take it up when I went for Leah."

He looks at me and my feelings must be visible on my face because he asks, "what did she say?"

"She said she's your fiance," I look him straight in the eyes, watching for any signs of deception.

He laughs.

"Kimmy was really high if she told you that," he shakes his head slowly, "well, we were engaged, but that ended when Leah was three months, she's almost four now, so do the maths."

I look at him with narrowed eyes, I am not ready to mention Tamra.

"And she knows that you both are done?" I ask him.

"Of course," he answers without hesitation.

He turns to me and takes my hand in his. I am feeling some kind of way.

"Andrea, do not take what Kimmy said seriously, she was high. I won't lie to you and say I don't care about Kimmy, we've been friends for as far back as I can remember, she was my first love and the mother of my child, but nothing is going on between us and nothing will ever happen between us again."