Chapter 7

I had to post that pic of Rylee because she's so pretty in it

In one week, I had my car back, I was back to working on Andrew and Emily's house, Adam was a residence of Rhode Island, and he was checked into rehab.

And plan repair my parents fucked up life was back in motion.

Anthony promised me we would win the case.

I got rid of my step mother's name on my birth certificate.

The hearing is in a week. Andrew is completely prepared. He'll call me and talk to me while I work on his house.

The funniest part is that the guy that's defending my Step Mom was a friend of mine in High School. We haven't spoken, but he saw how many times I showed up at school with bruises from her when I called her Reese instead of Mom.

I have hospital bills from when I was a child from a cut from my wrist to my elbow, a scar from my step mother.

I'm putting floor down and Charlotte is playing on the other side of the room.

My phone starts ringing.

"Hello?"

"How fast can you put on nice clothes and get to court?" Andrew asks.

"Um...fifteen minutes, why?"

"They changed the date. The hearing is in an hour."

"I'll be there."

I hang up, grab Charlotte and her things, and run to the car. I buckle her in and speed home. I shower quickly and dress in a black skintight skirt that goes to a couple inches above my knee, and a white formal tank top. I tuck it in and put my hair up in a neat bun, then I dress Charlotte in a dress after changing her diaper and then put on black heels and rush to the car with my purse.

****

My stepmother is on the stand.

"Mrs. Digby, would you please explain to the court why the true birth certificates of your step daughter, Rylee Harper Digby, and your step son, Adam Michael Digby, and evidence of the crimes Mr. Digby was charged for were found in your closet?"

"I do not know." Reese says.

"Also, there are records of you buying marijuana, cocaine, alcohol, and heroine, the same drugs your step son is in rehab for."

Silence.

"Also, there are hospital records of your step daughters with a cut. A cute made from a knife."

"I would never!" Reese gasps.

"Do you want to explain why you were buying drugs, Mrs. Digby?"

"My stepson must have taken my credit card." She says.

Andrew nods slowly. "That's all." He sits down next to me. "She won't admit anything." He whispers.

"So? So then what?" I ask.

"So you go up there and you be honest. You tell them everything you know."

"And what if that doesn't work?"

"Then I help you find your parents and we all move to their country." He shrugs.

I'm going to cry.

I'm called to the stand.

When I get up there, they start questioning me on everything.

****

We lost.