Chapter 9

Nightmares infect my sleep for three months before they subside. My life would be nothing without Charlotte.

But I've noticed something.

I'm still miserable. I've worked on so many houses here in San Diego.

So maybe it isn't the area.

Maybe it's me.

Well not me, but Jace.

Without Jace, I'm in a horrible mood and always miserable.

I miss him.

My doorbell rings.

Charlotte follows me to the door.

Sighing, I open it.

Emily?

"Hey Rylee." She says.

"Emily." I say.

"I'm alone." She says, stepping inside.

"How'd you find me?" I frown.

"Your location n Twitter changed to San Diego, then I went to the courthouse, lied about being your sister, and they gave me your address." She shrugs.

"So what brings you here?" I ask, turning around to look at Charlotte to make sure she's not doing something that I'm going to have to clean later.

She's just playing with her baby dolls.

"Jace." She says.

I turn back around to face her. The happiness leaves her face, and almost...depression takes over.

"Oh." I say quietly.

"I've never seen him so..." she trails off. "Miserable."

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Three days after you left, he got a phone call that his Dad was in a horrible accident. He's in a coma. Jace had his fifteen year old sister. His Mom showed up and took Addison away from him. his Dad woke up and didn't even remember who Jace is. Everything came back to him, and now his Mom won't bring Addison back. Jace lost it..." she sighs. "But he would be dealing." She says. "Only...he isn't."

"What do you mean he isn't?" I ask.

"He misses you." she whispers.

"Me?" I ask.

"You don't understand." She whispers. "Jace is head over heels in love with you. The reason he was such a dick when he met you was because his Mom called. Whenever she calls he gets in horrible moods. I never saw Jace crying until the day you left."

I'm quiet.

"I'll go see him." I whisper. "But first, where's his sister?"

"London, England."

"Give me the address."

She writes it on a piece of paper.

"Can you take Charlotte to your house? I'll meet you there."

She shrugs.

****

I booked the first flight to London. I took a taxi to the address. A minivan sits in the driveway.

I get out of the car and smooth my skirt. My hair is up in a neat bun.

I alright have two plane tickets to Providence, Rhode Island.

I fold the note to Addison in my hand and put it in the waistband of my skirt.

I take a deep breath and pay the driver, and then I get out and go and knock on the door. the taxi is staying down the street.