Chapter 11

I leave for home in five hours with my son, who I named Kaden Nova Digby. Charlotte is staying with Adam and Nikki. I'm sad, but they're her parents. I handed them custody. I made sure I was the legal guardian of Kaden, and I filed necessary restraining orders.

"I'll be back in an hour or two." I tell Mom.

"I'll be fine honey." Mom says.

I kiss Kaden's head and walk out of the house.

I need to take care of something.

I drive to the prison and go through a ton of things to get in.

Finally, he walks out. He smirks when he sees me. My skin crawls.

Marcus sits down.

"Hey baby doll." He smirks.

"Look, I'm going to make this short and blunt." I say. "When you raped me, you got me pregnant. I gave the baby up, but the baby came back to me. I'm not telling you the sex, I'm not telling you the name. I'm not telling you anything. The baby is mine, not yours. If you ever get out of here, you are not to go near the child. You have a restraining order and I'll make sure the child knows how much of a douche bag you are. Don't go near my kid, or me, or any of my family ever again, got it?"

"And if I do?" I ask.

"My husband's a cop. He'll kill you without a bat of his eye." I say.

"But the kid's mine." He says.

"No it isn't. The kid is mine and my husbands."

He grits his teeth. "Fine, I'll back off, but at least show the kid what I look like."

"Of course I will, so the kid knows to stay the fuck away from you." I stand up. "Have fun in prison, bitch."

I walk away.

****

The perks of being an interior designer is the money and knowing how to decorate.

I live in a pretty shitty house, and Kaden's room is pink.

In one week, it's going to be the fourth of July and everyone is coming to my house because one, they want to, and two, most of them are looking for houses.

My house is ugly with hideous floors.

I ripped up the floor and I'm putting down wood floor while Kaden naps.

My phone vibrates with a text.

Jace: are you ready for a relationship

Jace: I'm good with being friends until your ready

Truthfully, I'm not ready.

Me: I'm not ready. I'm really sorry. I've been thinking about it and I'm going through a lot of changes, from my parents coming back to not having Charlotte, to having my son...

Me: but we can still be friends and then, eventually more

Jace: can I just make one rule then?

Me: depends...

Jace: you can't date anyone and I can't date anyone

Me: deal

I already painted the living room a nice tan, and I put in a new window to make it brighter.

When Kaden wakes up, I dress him for outside, put him in his playpen with his toys, and I start putting down grass, because my entire yard is dirt.

It takes me a few hours of that, and I have to stop a few times to feed Kaden and change his diaper.

I start to work on the little garden in the front yard. I put in roses and lilacs and wildflowers. I set up the sprinlers, and then I install the front door.

Tired, I go in the house with Kaden.

****

The next day, I put down the grass in the backyard and filled up the pool I had installed, with gates of course. I put down the floor in the kitchen, and I painted in there. The day after, I put down the carpet in the four bedrooms. My house is one story.

The next day, I painted the four bedrooms, and then the day after that, I made all the bathrooms perfect.

Kaden is screaming. I'm washing windows.

Kaden has been screaming for an hour and a half and I'm freaking out.

He doesn't need a diaper change, he's not hungry, and he isn't cold.

In fact, he's naked.

Stressed, I rip the front door open.

They're here early.

I step aside to let them in, and try the bottle again.

He rejects.

So I just hold him and pat his back.

Finally, his cries silence as he drifts off to sleep.

I let out a slow sigh.

"Finally." I say, the stress and worry that just consumed myself dispersing. "You guys are early."

"Better early than late." Mom smiles, kissing me cheek. "Your house is wonderful darling. Did you hire someone to decorate it?"

I frown. "No. I put down the floor and I painted it. The yard was dirt like...two days ago."

"Wow." Dad says.

"Yeah." I smile.

Who do you guys want to see a photo of?