xx - the first day

Isabella

"I did the right thing, right?"

"Of Course. You need the job."

"But it's Vernon! The person I am trying my best to stay away from. Now I have to spend the majority of my day with him."

"It doesn't matter. You are going there to earn money. Stay focused on your work."

"How am I supposed to focus on my work? I couldn't focus right when we were in the car, with two other people. In the office, we will be entirely alone."

"Are you going to jump his bones?"

"Absolutely not! But I don't trust my hormones. What if I tell him that he is the father and Victoria is lying?"

"Honestly woman, what are you scared of? Him finding out the truth of the baby or about your attraction?"

I stared at my reflection, perplexed. I don't have an answer to that. What will be worse? 

Grabbing my hair in frustration, I groaned out loud and laid down on my bed like a starfish, and sighed heavily. I am not scared of him finding out any of both. If anything, he deserves to know that I am carrying his baby, someone whom he can call his own. I don't care what happens to Victoria, she built her relationship with Vernon on a huge lie. She should expect this coming someday and if Vernon finds about my feelings, that is fine too. Having feelings for someone is not a crime. I have no control over it.

But I am scared of what will happen after he accepts me and my baby.

Every person who has come closer to me has ended up being dead. Finally, I have people around me whom I can call 'my people'. I have Stephanie, Gia, Tyler, Sean, and Vernon but all my relationships with them are like a ticking bomb. I have to leave them as soon as I deliver so that all the secrets would stay hidden.

I can't bear being the reason for someone's death again.

"Ella?" Gia's voice called me after the door opened to my room. I sat on my bed and smiled at her.

"Stephanie gave these." She handed me a white bag. Curiously, I looked inside and found clothes for myself. Surprisingly I didn't feel awkward anymore.

"She is very excited, isn't she?" I asked with a chuckle. Gia just chuckled back in reply.

"Breakfast is ready." She said before exiting my room.

I quickly changed into a baby pink blouse and a black maternity pencil skirt. The fabric was so comfortable that it made me smile and instantly lifted my mood. It's true, dressing up does make you feel better.

As I am entering my second trimester, my belly is growing every day. It was an assurance that the baby is growing healthily. That reminded me that I have an appointment with Dr. Abigail today. Packing up my things in a purse, I left my room to feed myself and the baby.

"Good morning!" Stephanie greeted me in excitement and hugged me.

"Good morning, Stephanie!" I replied with a chuckle and patted her back.

"What makes you so happy?" I asked as we both walked towards the dining table to have breakfast.

"You!" Stephanie exclaimed while smiling like a child on Christmas. "You agreed to work with Vernon." She added. "I was worried about you and I know you won't accept any help or favors so I wanted to help you find a job where you can work hard." Stephanie smiled at me warmly. As I looked at her, my mother's face flashed before my eyes.

My heart felt heavier when the image of my mom sitting beside me instead of Stephanie and her smiling proudly at me was pictured in my mind. I wish she was here. I miss her so much.