xiii - vernon's offer

Isabella

Isabella

Under the dark sky and twinkling stars, I walked beside Tyler on the empty silent road, the only sound were of Tyler's shoes and soft thudding of my sandals. The wind was chill which turned my cheeks a shade of pink.

"I'm sorry." Tyler said suddenly which made me look at him with a confused frown. "For what?" I asked. "Stephanie told me about you." He answered, his eyes dropped for a moment before he gave me a glance. It made me smile because his gaze held no pity. "I admire how strong you are. I know it hasn't been easy." He added. "Thankyou." I replied not knowing what to say further. Tyler too didn't say much which I was thankful for.

"How far are you?" He asked me. "Almost two" I answered. "Wow!" He replied in awe. "It always amazes me you know. Women." Tyler held a soft smile on his thin pink lips as he continued. "Women are probably the strongest creatures out there I mean they go through so much, natural and unnatural but the light within them never fade and us men.." He chuckled humourlessly. "We are just filled with ego and pride. No matter what, nothing can satisfy us." He said.

Tyler was the first man who had ever said these things, I've often heard the criticism from women but hearing them from a man, it felt... different. "It's not like that. Men and women are equally gorgeous and strong in their own way. Men are physically strong while women are mentally. Nature needs balance." I replied. Tyler just gave out a small laugh and nodded his head.

Few steps were then taken in silence, a silence that warmed your heart in the chilly night. The warmth of calmness, the warmth that doesn't allow your lips to stay still but compel them to curl up in a smile.

I lifted my head and looked at Tyler, he too had the same smile on his face. His left hand was tucked inside the pocket of his trouser while his opposite hand fell loosely by his side. The pharmacy was now in plain view. I was confused when I found myself feeling a little sad by the thought of parting ways with Tyler now.

I was sad because I knew that after he left there was the harsh reality that was thrown at my face moments ago which would make it's way in my mind but I was more sad by the thought of loosing the calmness that his presence gave me.

"What happened?" Tyler asked as he handed me the paper bag with my medicines in it. "It's strange, in the morning I hated your presence and now.." I began but Tyler interrupted me. "You love my presence?" Looking at his cocky face, I rolled my eyes. "What I was saying is that now I can tolerate your presence." I said. "Whatever you say." He wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

"Thankyou for walking me." I said when we were back at the gates of Pearl House. "Thankyou for allowing me to walk you." He replied which made me laugh. "Can I ask you something cherry?" Tyler asked me. "It's Ella." I said but nodded anyway as an answer. "Can we be friends?" He asked. My smile wavered a bit. Not because of his question, but because of his eyes. They were squinted lightly as he said his next words that made me forget how to breath. "I want to know you." My stomach started flipping as Tyler moved a step closer to me, his stormy grey eyes held mine in an instance stare.