Chapter 3

Connor's POV

I was almost certain Kimo would say yes, but as I watched the tears running down his cheeks and heard his voice caught in his throat, I was starting to wonder if these weren't tears of joy.

Before I had more time to wallow in doubt, Kimo threw himself into my arms and screamed, "'ae, yes, of course I want to marry you! Yes!" I swayed under his sudden weight but steadied us, shifting so that both of my knees were planted on the sand.

Kimo lifted his head, and I was awestruck by his beauty. The luscious, curly mane which framed his face was now completely windblown and frizzy, only making him look even cuter. His skin, the deep colour of sand dunes under a setting sun, was soft and smooth to my gentle touch. The love of my life stared up at me through thick eyelashes as the tears glistening in his eyes made his dark brown eyes appear bigger.

"Nau ko'u aloha, my love is yours, Connor, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. You mean the world to me, always have and always will. Just your smile or hearing your voice is enough to brighten up my day. You're right, as long as we have each other, nothing can phase us. Aloha no au ia 'oe (I truly love you)." The smile on his face was wide and as bright as the morning sun.

My heart fluttered at his words, and my joyous smile matched his as I stroked his hair. The big curls of his hair glided through my hand and felt like what I imagined a cloud would feel like. My hand came to rest on his nape, my thumb tenderly stroking his cheek while my other hand was wrapped around his waist, still clutching the jewelry box.

He reached up with one hand to caress my ear, the other resting against my chest. His gaze that was trained on me, was like he was looking at a priceless art piece which he couldn't believe was his. It filled me with more happiness than I could possibly have imagined because I felt exactly the same way about him.

I'd admired Kimo from the first day I met him, he was strong, confident and outgoing, everything that I wasn't. Over the years, Kimo had coaxed me out of my shell with his patience and love. He helped me find my confidence, my passion and my voice.

No one had cared about what I wanted to say or do, so I had stopped trying to tell them, but then I had been sent to a new foster home and consequently started going to a new high school. That had been where I met Kimo and made my first true friend.

He hadn't noticed me initially, I had been invisible to him, just another scrawny kid who hid inside baggy hoodies. I had watched him from afar and marvelled at his smile, beauty and kindness, falling more and more in love with a guy who hadn't known I'd existed.

That had been until one day when he witnessed the senior kids, who had picked on me from my first at that school, beating me up. Kimo had rushed to my rescue, his presence alone had been enough to get them to retreat.

His father had been the first Black councilman of that small city, and on top of that, had been very wealthy, so that had made Kimo's family extremely well known and Kimo the most popular kid in school.

I had been badly bruised from the attack and hardly said a word, but Kimo had taken me to the hospital and waited with me through the night since I refused to call my foster parents. Since that day, Kimo had stuck by my side, repelling my bullies and taking care of me. After a few months, I had started to open up, letting him see past the baggy clothes and quiet demeanor.

Now seven years later, and I had the courage and confidence to ask the love of my life to marry me. I had come a long way from that scared, moody little boy, and that was largely due to Kimo.

"I love you so much, Connor," he murmured, releasing the cutest little giggle before crashing his lips into mine. I smiled into the kiss, nibbling on his lips and swirling my tongue just the way he liked it. I was rewarded with a string of quiet moans which only spurred me on.