Chapter 8

Kimo's POV

"Welcome to Chicken Done Right, where our chicken is always scru- scru- scrumptious. May I take your order?" I tried to smile but judging from the concerned look on the customer's face, I was grimacing again.

"Mommy, the pretty man sad," the toddler wearing a light pink tutu and pink bows in her hair said. "Why sad?" She tilted her head to the side as she peered at me.

My lips curved up ever so slightly at the sides while the mother flashed me a smile and readjusted the small child in her arms. "I'm sorry, she can be a little nosy."

Before I could reply the little girl's face lit up and she clapped her hands in an excited squeal. "I know! I dance, den you happy! Mommy, down pwease."

The mother wore an apologetic look and was about to tell the child no when I jumped in. "I think the magic of dance might cheer me up." I glanced towards the mom, giving her a quizzical look, and when she smiled and nodded, I continued. "So, let's see what you've got."

The little girl released another excited squeal and nodded. There weren't many people in the restaurant and there was currently no one else in the queue, so it couldn't hurt. Plus, the little girl had such an infectious smile that if I wasn't so heart broken, I would already have been grinning.

"Go?" she asked, making sure that she had my full attention. When I nodded, she started butchering the lyrics to "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. She twirled and wiggled her body, shaking her little booty to her off key sing-talking.

It was the most adorable train wreck I'd ever seen. What made it even better was that she was grinning and giggling the entire time, not a care in the world that the few customers and all the workers had stopped what they were doing to watch her.

"Wing me down," she screamed with a giggle and pointed at me.

A smile managed to worm its way onto my face as I sang the words, "can't nothing."

The little girl giggled and cheered, singing a little more before doing one final twirl and bowing. The room erupted in applause which caused her face to light up. Her mom picked her up and pressed a kiss to her cheek, whispering something in the girl's ear which caused her to giggle.

I rang up their order and thanked the little girl for her performance. I even threw in an extra toy for her in her Kids' Meals since her performance had genuinely cheered me up. This had been the first time I'd smiled so widely in nine days.

That was how long it had been since I'd last stared into Connor's beautiful blue eyes or seen his breath-taking smile or felt him hold me close. Everyday I'd watched him lying lifeless in the ICU, pleading with him to wake up, and everyday he continued to lay there.

My heart broke more and more the longer he remained unconscious, my hope in life shattering with each passing day. I'd do anything to have him wake up, even give up my soul if that would help.

I knew I was being selfish. If he woke up, his life would be changed forever. There would be a learning curve while he adjusted to his disability, and I knew it wouldn't be easy. He already had his insecurities and this was bound to bring up some negative emotions. Not to mention the fact that he wasn't one to ask for help or readily accept it when offered.

This experience might even change him. He could become someone entirely different, someone I wasn't used to, someone cynical and miserable, but still I wanted him to wake up. I didn't care what he looked like or how he changed as long as he still loved me and let me be a part of his journey.

The last few days without him had been torture. It was like I was living in my own personal hell. I could barely keep myself together, and my every thought was one of longing for him. Life without Connor wasn't an option. He needed to wake up. We could figure out the rest together. We had to.