Eighteen

With careful steps, Chris stepped through the gate that led to the backyard of a purely abandoned house. Underneath his feet crunched the snow and sometimes gnawed bones.

It was crazy, there were bones and decaying flesh everywhere. Red stains decorated the dirty snow. It smelled of oil, gasoline and also a little of blood. The entire village looked like it had been forgotten long ago.

But the remaining corpses and a few hints of love in the shabby houses told different stories.

"Anything to know about this shit hole?", you asked, while keeping your back to Chris and looking around on all sides.

He stopped for a moment, pressed his back against the rotten wooden wall of a house, and pushed open the door before daring to enter the room. With a wave of his hand, he signaled for you to follow.

You followed him, but not without once again throwing a checking look inside the house before you dared to lower your weapon.

With searching eyes, Chris also looked around the house again.

"What are we looking for?", you asked, lifting the tablecloth to see if anything was hiding under it.

"A box filled with everything we need.", he said, and opened another door that led into a kind of pantry. "Not here either. Shit."

He grabbed his chest, activated the communicator and called for his team.

"Alpha here, where have you positioned the rations?", he waited a moment, but it took a moment before a click and crack sounded on the other side and someone spoke up.

"Sorry, Alpha, most of it got lost.", a woman said. "The monsters in the area have turned out to be more aggressive than we had anticipated. We could send a second package, but that's not safe either."

An annoyed sound escaped him. His eyes jumped over to you, asking a silent question.

You raised an eyebrow in amusement and had to grin. With your arms crossed in front of your chest, you leaned against the wall and lifted your chin.

He took the reaction as something positive and nodded. Again he grabbed his chest and spoke.

"Where did the package end up?", he asked.

For a short time there was silence.

"Are you sure you want to look for it?", the woman asked. "I can send another one."

"That won't be necessary.", you assured her through your communicator. "I will go with him. Just give us the coordinates and we'll get what's ours."

A groan sounded. The woman seemed annoyed, but held back from saying anything that would get her into trouble.

"I'll send a new one.", she said, while the clicking of keys sounded in the background.

With a groan, you rolled your eyes.

"That's unnecessary. It will also be lost and then others may benefit from our supplies. We can't trust anyone here with ammunition and grenades."

"The new package will end up closer to you."

She really didn't want to listen to what you had to say.

With a quick glance, you looked over at Chris to make him understand that your patience was wearing thin.

His lips moved as he could see the distaste in your eyes. But he said nothing.

"Here Alpha, I'm going to look for the package. Don't send another one, it would be a waste.", he ordered.

"But-!", the woman really wanted to make up for her mistake.

As much as she insisted on sending a new package was strange. She probably wanted to make an impression on him. Too bad she didn't know that Chris hated show-offs.

He couldn't stand unnecessary acts and was very pragmatic.

That's what you liked about him. The package was there, in the village, probably not too far from where you were. That was enough for him to look for it instead of insisting on a new one.

"No arguments, I'll go.", he nodded his head in the direction of another door. "(Y/N), you will secure the house. We will spend some time here, as a base station. Here we are central and can always return after parts of the village are cleaned."

You frowned.

"What do you mean?", you glanced out the window, startled by a bird that had fallen from the sky all of a sudden. "What about the mission? We have to get past that plant."

You pointed your finger into the distance, where black branches stretched into the sky.

He nodded.

"I know. But for that we need the explosives and ammunition that were in the package. No package, no passing.", he pushed past you. "Besides, it's going to be a few days before we know how and when everything is going to go down. That's how long we're going to stay here and gather information."

With a laugh, you settled down on a chair that looked suspiciously like it was about to break.

"Oh camping. I haven't done that in a long time.", you joked with a grin. "But for real, Redfield this is one terrible place to spent the night. Or any night. The walls are weak, holes everywhere. We could get snatched while sleeping."

He nodded in agreement.

"That's why I need you to take care of it. Strengthen the walls with some wood, the other homes around will probably offer something. Cover every hole, even the windows. I'll help with the space for resting when I'm back.", he turned around as if that was everything there was to say.

But you couldn't accept those orders without complain. Jumping form your seat, you grabbed your riffle and sprinted after him.

"No way I'm letting you go on your own, Redfield.", you said, teasing him with a grin.

He rolled his eyes, a bit annoyed.

A sigh left his lips, but he really did not have any more strength left in him to fight with you. He was still a bit salty because of what has happened back in the car between the two of you.

Talking to you for too long would have only made him forget that he was angry with you.

"I need you here.", he insisted.

"YOU need ME by your SIDE, Redfield. That's what I am here for. You said you can't do this without me. I took that personal."

"Which means?"

"Which means I'll be by your side form now on. All the fucking time."

He didn't argue about that.

It would have been a waste anyways.