Twenty-Eight

Your hand jumped to your leg, searching for the gun in the holster. But you reached into the empty space.

A curse left your lips, you had put down all weapons to sleep. Hastily, your gaze jumped across the room, over to the table. Your legs twitched, you wanted to jump up.

The lycans reacted especially to movement and sounds. If you were quick enough, you might be able to reach the gun and pull the trigger before it managed to reached you.

Carefully you got into position, ready to jump up and run.
The monster twisted its head, alarmed by the movement. Steaming saliva dripped from its mouth, crooked teeth in deep black appeared in between burned lips.

Your body twitched with tension.

At that very moment, Chris opened his eyes. His breath hitched, his eyes searched for you in the darkness. When he recognized the expression on your face, his heart stopped for a moment.

"Shit.", he cursed and reached out for his pistol.

For a second, the lycan was distracted.

You jumped up, but your legs went weak for a moment. You stumbled, crawled over to the table and grabbed the pistol.

A shot rang out behind you.

The lycan screamed. The smell of something burning and the iron of blood filled the room.

Chris groaned in pain as the beast dropped on him and tried to sink its claws into his unprotected chest.

Hastily you whirled around. Your hands were shaking. Never before had your hands trembled when you wanted to shoot something.

Why now?

Why right at this cursed moment?

Your finger pressed the trigger.

The bullet hit the monster in the neck. It was a good shot, but unfortunately not good enough. The impact tore open a piece of the neck, blood spurted out of the wound and covered Chris.

He froze in surprise, completely forgetting that he could have rammed his knife into the monster's head.

With a shrill scream, the lycan jumped to the ceiling. Its head twitched and spun as if it were possessed. Anger burned in those irritated eyes.

You raised the pistol again, ready for another shot.
But the monster was faster. With a shrill scream, it lunged at you.

You jumped back, hit the table and stumbled back a few steps before the beast pulled you to the ground. The pistol slipped from your fingers and fell to the floor with a clatter.

A sharp pain spread through your shoulder as you were knocked to the ground and crashed with full force through something made of wood. Small splinters cut into your skin, reopening the wounds from the day before.

With narrowed eyes you tried to grab something that could be used as a weapon.

The lycan now sat on top of you, its claws dug deep into your shoulders. It tore open the mouth and screamed. Warm saliva mixed with blood and the stench of decaying flesh covered your face.

Your heart was beating wildly in your chest.

"(Y/N)!", Chris jumped up, clutching a knife in one hand.

He lunged, he could have separated the monster's neck from its shoulders.

But the beast was so nimble that it whirled around effortlessly, raised its claws, and delivered a blow to his chest.

The force made Chris gasp. He stumbled back, barely able to breathe for a moment. He did not drop the knife. He managed to give the lycan a wound by dragging the blade along its arm.

Flesh opened, blood spurted.

The lycan screamed, its disfigured face contorted by pain and rage. But it did not use that rage. Instead, it jumped back, grabbed your leg and leapt into the air.

You were swept along.

"Oh shit!", you were now helplessly hanging upside down from the ceiling, while the lycan looked through the room like crazy.

Panting heavily, Chris sprinted over to your weapon and grabbed it. But just as he was about to pull the trigger, the monster jumped away and tore a huge hole in the ceiling. With a scream, it crawled through, while you were helplessly dragged along.

Wood scraped across your skin, leaving long scratches.

Some of them began to bleed. The feeling of the warmth of blood suddenly mixed with the icy cold of winter.

A shaky breath left your lips in little clouds as your eyes caught sight of more lycans in the darkness of the night.

Shrieking and cheering, they lurked in the shadows as if they knew exactly in which of the abandoned houses new prey could be found.

Suddenly, shots rang out and the pack scattered.

Like mad, they poured out of the shadows and rushed at the attacker.

Out of the corner of your eye you could see Chris storming out of the house before the lycan dragged you over the roofs deeper into the core of the village.

"Chris!", you shouted. "Be careful!"

He tore his gaze upward, his eyes filled with a restlessness. His breath was shaking, a thin layer of sweat shimmered on his forehead.

Was that fear?

He took a breath, his lips moved and he shouted something to you.

But your ears were deaf. There was only this ringing.
Nothing seemed real anymore. Everything felt weightless, almost like flying. It felt like you left your own body, seeing everything from a distance.

All you could see was his face. The pain in his eyes was screaming. It almost broke your heart.

You stretched out your hand, fingers trying to reach for him before he would disappear forever.

He jumped into cover, shot two monsters and ran after you. His arm twitched and he steadied his chest. With all his might Chris threw something at you.

It was like a small coin, round and shiny. As if nothing in the world could stop it, the thing whizzed through the air.

With an outstretched hand you caught it out of the air and closed your hands around it so tightly that it hurt. One last time you caught a glimpse of his face. His lips were moving.

"Don't leave me.", he whispered in a hoarse voice.

Then he was swallowed up by the snow-covered roofs.