Train ride

I want to give a warning for this one. The topic in this one shot might be sensitive for some people.

I stared out of the window of the train, the scenery outside flashing by but I didn't really take anything in. Sometime, about an hour into the train ride, someone had tried talking to me, but I didn't really register that either. All I could seem to focus on, was the news I had discovered a few hours ago. That was, I suppose, when and why I had decided to take this sudden and unexpected trip to Paris. Because I couldn't process the news on my own. And I knew, I knew I was being selfish by just packing up and leaving so abruptly, but if I had stayed for much longer, I would have broken and busted out in tears. And I didn't want to do that either. Because she needed to be strong, she didn't need to see me break like that. She didn't need to see my fear of losing her. It would just distract her from what she needed to focus on.

No, I needed to process this properly before I could be there for her before I could support her like she needed me to. But I couldn't be alone, either. So, I packed my bags and left for Paris. Mom understood. She knew I needed to see Kylian, to cry my eyes out in his arms and let him comfort me. I wouldn't be gone too long. I just needed some space.

The announcer on the train said we'd be arriving in Paris in a few minutes, snapping me out of my thoughts. I noticed a little kid staring at me from the corner of my eyes, and I wiped away a stray tear that had trailed down my cheek. Just a few moments longer, and then I could let it out. Just a few moments longer...

I cleared my throat, attempting to break through the lump that seemed to be stuck there. Just a few moments longer, I needed to keep it in a few moments longer. A little sob made it out, but I put my hand in front of my mouth trying to cover it up. I absently noticed my hand trembling and tried to conceal it. I doubted it worked.

I stepped down the steps of the train, onto the platform. And there he was, waiting for me. As soon as I saw him, I quickened my step and fell straight into his open arms.

"Oh, babe." He sighed, closing his arms tightly around me in a hug as another sob burst out of my chest. I heaved a little, bawling my eyes out. People were probably staring at us, but I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"Shh, shh, it'll be okay. You'll see, it'll be okay. She'll be okay. We'll make sure of it." He whispered in my ear, pressing a kiss to the side of my head, and softly rocking us back and forth. My hands found his back, clenching his shirt tightly in my hands as I buried my face into his chest.

"It's not f- fair." I sniffed, tears streaming down my face and no doubt making his shirt wet. But I couldn't seem to care. Not right now.

"No, it's not. She doesn't deserve this. It's not fair." He agreed, giving me another tight squeeze before leaning back a little. He reached up, wiping his thumb under my eyes to dry my tears. My chest heaved and broken sobs escaped my lips. He shushed, placing his hands on the sides of my head and leaning his forehead against mine, "Shh, I'm here. I'm here, okay? She's strong, your mom. She'll get through this. Try to calm down a bit, baby. Take a deep breath."

I tried, taking in a shaking deep breath and trying to hold it in for a few seconds. But it was hard.

"I can't." I sobbed again, clenching his shirt even tighter in my hands and squeezing my eyes shut.

"Yes, you can. I know you can." He said, gently but firmly, but I just shook my head.

"Open your eyes." I opened them and looked at him. His eyes flickered in between mine before he took my hand and placed them on his chest.

"Do you feel that? Just try to breathe with me. In," He took a deep breath in and I shakily tried to copy him, "and out. Just like that." He encouraged me.

"Again." Kylian and I did this for a few minutes and I eventually calmed down enough to release my tight grip on him and take a step back.

"No you don't. Come here," He pulled me back, this time against his side with his arm around my shoulders. He reached down to pick up my bag, which had fallen out of my grasp to the ground when I had embraced him.

"We'll be home soon, okay? I'll make us some dinner, we can watch a movie or just talk. Or cuddle. Whatever you want to do. Just a little bit longer and we'll be home." Kylian assured me and I nodded, a little sob catching under my breath but otherwise I had calmed down. He pressed another kiss to my hear and steered us towards the exit of the station. I'd be home soon, with him. I didn't know if it'd ever be okay, but at least it'd be better with him by my side.