Chapter 18, Part 2

"Alpha Mine"

Copyright 2013 © All Rights Reserved

Edited by: LadyDawn

Chapter 18, Part 2

Adam took his sweet time as he lovingly licked at the mark he’d inflicted on Dava. The healing agents in his saliva would work to both heal the mark and brand the sensitive tissue on her shoulder so that his mark would remain there for all to see. 

His mark.  The mark that would forever bind the two of them together as mates.

Growls of pleasure and satisfaction reverberated from his chest.  She belonged to him now.  She was his mate and no one would ever be able to take her away from him.

Gathering her small body in his arms he wrapped his arms around her possessively and fell back against the headboard, careful not to jar her injured arm or her broken leg.  Burying his nose into her thick mane of blond hair, he inhaled deeply and smiled.  Her delicious scent worked wonder, calming his wolf instantly. 

For several long minutes neither of them said a word.  The only sounds that could be heard in the room were Dava’s harsh, erratic breathing.  She was still reeling by the reality of what just happened and Adam was too content to recognize the inner turmoil battling inside of his new mate. 

He gently cradled her face to his chest, murmuring the centuries old vow of love and protection for ones mate.  This was it for him, she was it for him and he couldn’t have been happier.  “I, Adam Owen, do hereby promise you, Dava Morale, to give you the best of myself, while accepting you the way you are. I promise to respect you as a whole person with your own interests, desires, and needs, and to realize that those are sometimes different, but no less important than my own. I promise to keep myself open to you, to let you into my innermost fears and feelings, secrets and dreams. I promise to grow along with you, to be willing to face change as we both change, keeping our relationship alive and exciting.  I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how -- completely and forever.”

Bending his head, Adam gently tipped her head back so that he could look into her eyes.  “I love you,” he whispered softly, “for now and for always.”

Dava was still shell shocked.  She searched his face, looking for something, anything that would give away some sort of deception.  But there was nothing there.  All she saw was complete adoration and that didn’t make a bit of sense to her.

Adam was an alpha through and through. He would one day assume the leadership role of their pack.  He needed an alpha female to be his mate.  She didn’t have an ounce of alpha blood running in her veins.  She wasn’t even an original.  She was a measly turned, an omega wolf.  The lowest of the low, the bottom of the totem pole so to speak.  What Adam needed was someone like Blake.

She winced when that name crossed her mind.  As much as it galled her to admit it, she didn’t want to think about Adam and Blake together.  Her wolf even whined pitifully in protest.

Now she knew she was losing it.  She blinked and stared hard into Adam’s smoky, grey eyes.  She had to do something or say something at the least.  The last thing she needed was to be mated to an alpha; especially this one.

Drawing on what little strength she had, she schooled her features and did her best to look stern.  “Put. Me. Down,” she said, inflecting her tone with as much ice as she could muster.

Adams smile instantly fell from his face.  He had been so caught up in the glorious feel of having his mate in his arms, her savory scent and warmth surrounding him that he hadn’t noticed the angry fury written all over her face.  “Dava? Baby?   What’s wrong?” he asked her, sincere concern bleeding out of his every word.