Chapter 12

FEDERICO

I slip my jacket over my shoulders and adjust the cufflinks before removing my father's ring from my finger, not wanting Tiziano to recognize it.

"Did you send the car over to pick up Elenora?"

Domani looks up from his phone. "Yeah, it will be at her place soon. It'll be cutting it close depending on traffic. How are you feeling?" From the corner of my eye, he observes me closely, looking for any signs of worry or guilt.

He should know better.

"Like this night can't be over quick enough."

He chuckles, rolling his eyes. "Have you made any progress with the girl, or are you still avoiding her?"

"I'm not avoiding her. She's just hard to be around and dull as fuck; you'll see what I mean."

It's the partial truth.

Mostly.

Fine, it's an all-out damn lie. But the truth is irrelevant.

"You do realize the longer you take to get to know her, the less genuine you'll come across, and it will take longer for her to fall for you if you're always being an ass."

"I'm not being an ass; I'm being myself."

"Right, an ass, then." He smirks.

"Her own family doesn't like her. So, what does that tell you? She's only close to her one sister from what I can see; Jackie, the one who went out with Luca. The youngest sister seems fond of her, though. And she seems to have a better relationship with Tiziano than her mother, but her Nonno fucking hates her for some reason; he hits her, and no one stops him."

"Jesus," Domani comments, as he slips his hands in his pockets.

The memory of watching her fall to the ground, creates an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

"Anyway, let's go. Everyone else is probably already here." We walk out of the hotel suite and step into the elevator to take us to the lobby.

"Yeah, ma sent me a text that she and Rosetta drove together. Also, before I forget, most of the financials on Tiziano are clean. He has some offshore accounts, but nothing out of the ordinary. I guess it's true he mainly sticks to the business side of things for the other families in New York. Nothing is connecting him to any of the judges or other law enforcement from the trial either."

"Keep digging. He sold out my father, and I want to know who bought him." The anger simmering inside of me begins to boil. "Whoever it was had to be involved with the men who attacked my parents."

We step out of the elevator and head towards a large banquet hall where we will have this gathering. Hotel staff nod or move aside as I walk by. Some say hello, while others busy themselves with whatever menial task they find in front of them.

"Still as social as ever, I see." Domani snickers next to me.

"I don't need to talk to every fucking person I walk by, Dom." He chuckles as we step into the large room.

"Rico, amore mio." Domani's mother, Zara, hugs me. She's short but has always had a solid strength. She tightens her arms around me before pulling my head down to kiss my face. "You look so handsome, but your eyes are tired. Are you not sleeping well, figlio?" (my love, son)

I avoid answering her immediately as I greet and hug Serafina, Domani's younger sister. The truth is I haven't been sleeping well. And I definitely don't want to admit I slept great for the first time when Elenora recovered the night of her birthday.