Use His Weakness

After John explained what the girl on the game told him to Laura and Deacon, they all stayed in the living room figuring out something to do. Knowing that Face Mask couldn't stay in the light, they kept every light on in the house and took two knives and the bat to the basement to get those lights turned on as well.

Deacon eventually fell asleep on the couch. John and Laura stayed up still too worried about sleeping and if the girl's warning was true or not. But Face Mask did disappear when Laura came in and turned the light on in Deacon's room, so the theory seemed to prove true. He had also been sleeping with a night light that burned out last night. So he was able to stay away, but not any longer. And if they want to keep their electricity bill down, they needed to get rid of Face Mask now.

"There's only one solution. It's time to bring out the twins." John stood from the couch and looked to the book shelf.

"Are you sure John jr and Laura jr will be enough?" Laura asked watching John head to the bookshelf.

He pulled out what looked like and encyclopedia and opened it showing two guns laying inside. He named them after himself and wife to show how strong they are together.

"You know I won't pull these out unless something serious is going on. I don't know how else we plan to protect ourselves and Deacon. Do you have any other options?"

"No, but I just don't know if that'll be enough. What if he gets away?"

"That's why you'll be waiting with the police outside."

"Outside? You want me to wait outside with someone who didn't hesitate to hold you by the neck?"

"Would you rather use John and Laura and I hold the outside fort?" John loaded his guns and handed them to Laura.

"I can't use these. Fine, I'll call the cops and wait with them. What else are you planning to do? If this guy can fly, a gun may not be enough."

"You're right, that's why in the morning, I'm going to-" All the lights in the house went out. Laura stood looking around with John trying to figure out what's going on. It was dark and they could hardly see anything.

John went to turn the lamp on only to see nothing happened. He grabbed his phone and turned the light on.

"You think he's here?" Laura whispered. She and John were still. He panned the light over her and Deacon and the rest of the living room. They couldn't hear anything. They don't think it's ever been that quiet in the house.

"Oh God, it's him!" Laura was scared and did her best not to speak loudly. Did he cut the power? Was he already in the house?

John put a finger to his lips and the other out to Laura. He listened hard for the faint sound he heard coming from what he believed to be the basement. It almost sounded like someone was ruffling through their laundry.

"What should we do?" Laura whispered even softer this time.

"Get the flashlights. There's one in the emergency kit in the bedroom." John spoke softly stealing looks to the kitchen. "If he's downstairs, you shouldn't have a problem going up. I'll go check it out."

"Are you sure? What about Deacon?"

There was another sound coming from the basement. This time it was a shatter. Something fell and broke down there.

"Take him with you. Get upstairs and stay there with the flashlight and call 9-1-1."

A scratching sound filled the air. Like someone was taking a knife to concrete. It was getting louder. It was moving closer and coming up the stairs. John looked behind him and back to Laura throwing his head in the direction of upstairs. She quickly scooped Deacon up and headed for the stairs.

John waved the flashlight over the stairs to help her see. She was halfway up the stairs when the light fell, along with John.

A light groan escaped his throat when he realized something stabbed his leg.

"Where's the boy?" A voice said. It was Face Mask. He remembered the voice but couldn't see him. His phone slid somewhere and the light was gone.

"I'm right here!" John said. He did his best to look around for him in the darkness. If it wasn't for the moonlighting, he wouldn't be able to see anything at all.

He scanned the room. He couldn't see anything. He tried to take a step, but the piercing pain in his right calf reminded him something was there. He felt for the foreign object and realized it was glass. He also noticed something about the angle in which it laid in his skin.

John panned the room again, this time looking up. He look to the ceiling over the main entrance. He looked to the top of the stairs. Laura was frozen still. Still halfway up with Deacon. He couldn't really see her. He was hardly able to tell she moved her arm outward. His gaze went behind him and his vision went even darker than it was.

Face Mask jumped him. He fell again to the ground fighting back trying to get him off.

"If you insist on taking his place, then give me what he promised. Once a deal has been made, it cannot be broken." He had John down. His hand cupped the side of his face. He took his thumb and rubbed just below his eye adding pressure to his flesh. His touch was cold. It gave John such a fowl feeling, he almost wanted to throw up.

"Take what you want, if you think you can." John slid the gun out his pocket and put it to his head. Face Mask didn't even flinch. He still hand a firm grip on John's face pressing even harder as if trying to pop his eye out of socket.

Before he could succeed in taking his eyes out, John pulled the trigger and the sound echoed in the house. Laura let out a scream from the stairs. Deacon bolted awake to see what was happening.

John looked to the man over him. His grip loosened on his face and he used that chance to wiggle out of his grip.

Before getting up, John looked at the masked man on the ground. His head was fully intact. It was as if he never shot him. He looked to his warm gun then back at him.

"Wha- what the hell are you? Some kind of demon?" John was getting nervous. He wasn't sure anymore just what he was up against. He put his hand to the ground for balance getting up when he felt the phone. He quickly grabbed it just as Face Mask looked over to him. Before he could attack him again, John found the flashlight and blared it to his face.

Face Mask backed up and disappeared from the room.