Secret reveled

"Yo, did your game glitch too?" A player asked. Laura didn't respond. Neither did the first voice. The first voice has already asked a question. It was robotic, but Laura knew who it was.

"Why are you here?" Laura asked with hesitation.

"Is that him?" Deacon looked at the screen and saw the name change. The fear that was growing in him woke him up.

"I guess the other one isn't playing today." He was referring to John.

"After what you did to him, of course not. I'm still looking for her."

"You better find her within the time I gave you. I will be waiting."

"Oohh, he will be waiting girl, watch your back." A player mocked Face Mask. He laughed not realizing just who he was making fun of.

"Hang on, is this that eyeless guy you were talking about? I heard he shows up with a number tag." The other player asked. Laura wasn't sure if she should tell them or not. She just knew to be careful about what she says.

"No way, it can't be. I heard that guy takes over your screen. My game is perfectly fine. The guy is a fake."

"Well, are you? Is this how you hack into accounts?"

"Would you like to find out?" Face Mask asked them.

"Do not answer him! Just ignore him!" Laura warned.

"Are you two working together? I thought it was just the one guy. Didn't know he had a girl. You guys gonna get me? I'm sooo scared."

"Do you wish to find out? Are you sure you want to know?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Maybe you shouldn't taunt them, guy." The more relaxed player seemed to be taking this a little more serious.

"This guy is a joke. How's a killer playing video games?"

"Have you ever been blind before?" Face Mask asked them.

"What kind of question is that? Matter of fact, if you eyeless, how are you playing games that require you to see? This guy makes no sense."

"I see perfectly fine. You will be my next target."

"Oh am I? And what are you going to do? Kill me? Do it if you think you can. You're probably just some loser trolling on the internet like the rest of them."

"Dude, what if he's real? Now you're dead meat." The calmer player was getting worried.

"How old are you guys? Believing in ghosts on the internet. Hate to break it to you, but Santa Clause isn't real either. Why don't you bring him with you when you come kill me."

"The deal is sealed." Face Mask responded. He got him to say what he wanted. Now this boy's life is in danger.

"Try to seal the 44 magnum that'll come your way if you show."

"That won't work." Laura spoke softly, "You don't know what you just did." 

"Y'all weird man. This game is dead, I'm out." The daring player exited out the match. Laura looked to the screen and saw only two players on her team; herself, and the calmer player. Face Mask left the game too.

"You still there?" The player asked. "Was that really him?"

"Yes, it was."

"How do you know? Who are you?"

"Just a victim. Watch your back on here. You'll never see that player again." Laura gave the guy the warning. He muttered, stumbling on something to say, but never got it out.

Without realizing it, the game ended. She watched the screen but when Face Mask appeared she wasn't paying attention anymore and didn't notice Deacon was struggling with other players near by.

"Mom, what happened? What did he say?"

"We have to keep playing... start up another round."

It pained Laura to say it. She just witnessed someone giving their life away. There was nothing she could do. She herself was at his mercy and didn't want to provoke him.

The games continued. She wasn't getting anywhere. People seem to know of him, but hasn't encountered him like she has. She tried asking if they've heard of a player named Ella. No one knew her.

It was the middle of the night. Laura could hardly keep her eyes opened. She hasn't slept since the day before. Deacon had already fallen asleep, and she had taken over entirely trying to play the best she could from watching him.

"Your player level and playing skills don't seem to match." It was a girls voice. It was the third one she's heard all night.

"Is your name Ella?" Laura quickly asked with exhaustion.

"Ella? Like Ella Enchanted?" She laughs. It was another dead end. Laura was ready to just leave the game.

"Are you asking about the girl who supposedly knows that rumored killer?" Another player spoke.

"Yes! She knows him? How do you know?" Laura tried to perk up but the sleep deprivation was taking over.

"She plays a lot trying to warn people of the killer. No one believes her though since no one has seen this so call killer."

"He's real. And he's out to get us. He wants me to find Ella. Do you know how I can find her?"

"I'm sure if you play long enough, you'll run into her."

"Remember, all you have to do is rip his mask off if you see him."

"Rip his mask off? What do you mean?" Laura perked up even more.

"Well, one of the things she's said to people is to take his mask off. It's his weakness or something."

"His weakness... does he really have one?"

"I guess that's something you'll have to figure out if he's after you." The girl told her. Laura thought about the new information.

"What else do you know? Have you heard anything else?"

"Something about lights. Makes him weak or paralyzed or something. But he's super good at dodging them."

"Did you make a deal with him? That's how he works right? Under some verbal contract? The sound of this guy gives me the creeps. Be careful out there." These two players have given her the most information so far.

The game ended and Laura leaned back on the couch with slight satisfaction with this knowledge. The lights were still on in the house. She believed Face Mask would keep his word. But even if she wanted to turn the lights off, her body felt heavy. She made the mistake of closing her eyes to think. They stayed shut as she drifted off into slumber.