12

'So you own this place?' I ask around a light Japanese lunch.

'Yes.' Jin says firmly.

'He's the silent partner.' Suga says from beside him.

Jin's brother was wheedled into playing waiter, so I decide to ignore the 'Neun gaeppul' muttered from him. It made Suga snort-laughter though.

After getting slightly buzzed from the soju and saki that went with the meal I thanked Jin again, bowing. Suga stopped my bow, smiling at my effort, and walked me out while Jin rapidly and loudly protested... something... following behind us.

****

'So when did you want to tell me that you were sponsoring me?' I ask lightly of Jin, his startled laughter ringing in the road as we walk back to my apartment.

'I didn't know you needed one until I talked to your professor. It seemed useful to just claim you, to smooth things over.' Jin replies.

'So is it continuous? Do I need to fill out some kind of paperwork? Is it going to cause you problems?' I pepper him, looking for more information.

'Of course it's continuous! I'm not letting go of my favorite baker!' He shouts in reply, acting offended. Even Suga giggles at his acting.

We get to my apartment and I let us all in, nodding for them to grab a seat in the small living room as I go to get drinks from the Boss.

'There is some paperwork involved in having a sponsor, but I'm not sure how the college handles it.' Suga says as he nods his thanks for the drink.

'I looked into what it takes to become a resident before I moved here for school. At the National level it's a useful tool for people coming into the country for the first time. Sponsors usually offer  an apartment, a paying job, and support lessons needed for becoming a naturalized citizen. I'm already in college, and am getting the lessons with my degree, and I have my own apartment...' my words wander off, unsure as to how to continue.

'The paying job is the difference, right?' Jin says, leaning forward, his elbows on his knees. I nod. 'Then I must hire you. Honestly, it makes more sense than anything else, and why would I want to chance losing you to my competition?' He grins as he finishes his statement.

'I didn't know I was a hot commodity.' I reply, a brow cocked and a grin on my face.

'Well, you're hot anyhow.' Suga replies, smiling darkly.

I just sip my drink, back to being unsure how to reply.

****

Jin is back to yelling on the phone... rapping loudly? The groan from Suga as he leaves the room for as much distance as my little apartment will allow has my chuckling at his misery. When he notices my humor at his expense he just scowls and snorts.

'I guess I'm going to have to go back to that restaurant and audition for my sponsorship.' I say quietly to him while we hang out in the kitchen.

'Not likely. He's been raving about your baking for a while now. I know everyone at work has heard of you, and I don't doubt he's given his brother an earful as well. I would expect a sampling of your work would just about cinch it for you, and stop the need for him to keep ruining my eardrums.' Suga replies, shaking his head.

Turning around I look in the Boss, seeing if I have any left over from the baking I did for the midterm party. 'I might have a couple of lemon pine nut treats left over.. I don't think that'd fit the idea of the restaurant though.'

'You're right, it wouldn't.' Suga muses, looking over my shoulder. 'Honestly all the baked goods thus far have been American and European in background. You've been kind in doing the fall themed treat last time, but the flavor profiles still fall more into the Western arena.'