Chapter 27

Seeing that Barty and Regulus weren’t coming up for air anytime soon, Voldemort used that distraction as a way to measure his followers’ reactions. One could tell a lot by a man’s responses to something unexpected.

Lucius looked very much like he was trying with all his might not to roll his eyes. Severus didn’t bother to contain his impulses and rolled his eyes in a way that clearly said he wasn’t just exasperated with those two men, but with the whole bloody world. Crabbe and Goyle looked confused for the most part, which was honestly nothing new. Theodorus Nott was unable to hold back a sentimental smile, but then again, Theodorus was a closet romantic. Voldemort knew only too well, having shared a dormitory with the man for seven years and having had to live through every aspect of Dorus’ courtship with some Hufflepuff. Macnair looked utterly bored, as did the Carrow siblings. Yaxley, Avery, Travers and Rowle all seemed to have thoughtful frowns on their faces, probably wondering how they could use this new information to their own advantage.

“I’ve wanted to do this for years and years,” Barty finally said, sounding completely out of breath.

“Me too,” Regulus sighed and looked like he wanted to dive right back into snogging Barty, but enough was enough.

Voldemort cleared his throat while crossing his arms. “Gentlemen, as touching as this reunion has been, it is time to get back to our very busy agenda.”

Barty’s eyes widened, only now realizing what he’d done. He sprung away from Regulus as if suddenly burned and stared at Voldemort with an expression on his face that Voldemort hadn’t seen there for quite a long time. Barty looked afraid, probably not even so much for himself as for Regulus, seeing as Barty quickly stepped in front of his brand-new paramour.

“Just get back to your positions,” Voldemort snarled with an impatient wave of his hand. Barty flew across the ballroom back to his previous spot and Regulus ducked his head and studiously ignored Voldemort’s glares. “Very well.” Voldemort clasped his hands behind his back again and continued to walk up and down the row of Death Eaters. “An opportunity has come across our paths, one that fulfils all that we’ve desired for many decades.”

While giving his followers a secretive little smile, Voldemort strolled out of the ballroom. “Follow me.”

There was some confusion as everyone looked at everyone else before finally hurrying after their Lord who led them through the long hallway to the entranceway before opening the front doors and stepping outside.

The original gardens of the mansion had moved alongside the building, but further down the island’s flowery meadows stretched out for miles and miles, with young trees, barely reaching shoulder height, dotting the landscape. Voldemort walked along the garden path and down numerous steps until he reached the meadow. He waited patiently for his followers to gather near him before he turned to look at them again.

As if on cue, at that exact moment Harry’s dragon cousin came sailing by overhead, his large wings causing a flurry of wind to rustle all their black robes. Right behind the dragon came Sirius Black on his broom, urging the beast on in between loud bouts of laughter. To complete the spectacle, Harry’s beastly friend came tearing across the meadow in happy pursuit of Black and the dragon.

“Impossible!” Severus shouted, eyes wide and face greying at an alarming rate. “I saw him die! Black should be dead!”