Chapter 40

Harry gave Lucius a considering look while Lucius smirked as though he’d just been made Governor of Magica. Harry didn’t want to outright dismiss the idea of having Lucius in the government, because Lucius was a seasoned politician who knew his way around a ministry. He was also loyal to Tom, up to a point. But Harry couldn’t see Lucius as the Head of Law Enforcement because Harry was quite sure that Lucius would turn it into his private paramilitary group of thugs before long.

No, Harry had a different position in mind for someone as ambitious as Lucius.

“I’m sorry,” Harry said with an entirely insincere smile. “But I’ve already hired someone as Head of Law Enforcement.”

Lucius’s smirk all but fell off his face and he gave Harry a questioning curve of his brows. “Who, if I may ask, have you hired for this job?”

“Patroclus Macmillan,” Harry said, unable to keep the humour out of his voice. “He spent many years in the field as an Auror, and after that became Head Auror and Head of Magical Law Enforcement for the British Ministry. Patroclus is exceptionally well suited for the position, I assure you.”

“He’s dead,” Lucius countered with the kind of finality that Harry simply didn’t understand.

“I don’t see the problem.” Harry shrugged and crossed his arms while brushing his thumb against the amulet around his neck. Patroclus appeared at once, giving Harry a nod in greeting and then sneering when he noticed Lucius Malfoy standing not three feet away.

“Patroclus,” Harry said as he gestured between Lucius and his great-grandfather. “I was just telling Lucius here that you’re the new Head of Magical Law Enforcement here on Magica.”

Without missing a beat, Patroclus played along, even if Harry hadn’t discussed any of this with him yet. “Naturally,” Patroclus said in a no-nonsense voice. “There is no one better suited on this island than me to whip a new generation of Aurors and hit-wizards into shape.”

“Exactly,” Harry agreed with a smile aimed just at his great-grandfather. “Now don’t be too disappointed, Lucius, because I have another position in mind for you.”

Lucius did indeed look a bit miffed and he wrinkled his nose as he brushed invisible dirt off his sleeve. “What would you have me do instead?”

“I’d like you to be Head of Taxes,” Harry said as sincerely as he could. Lucius was filthy rich and as far as Harry knew the man was not easily swayed by a bag of gold. Meaning he could be trusted to handle it on behalf of Magica. Not to mention Lucius was clever enough to set up a system for tax collection, and he was diplomatic enough to work with the goblins of Gringotts for banking purposes. Yes, the more Harry thought about it, the more he realized Lucius was a great choice for that position.

Lucius blinked a few times as he obviously considered his options and then a sly smile appeared on his face. “Very well, I accept.” Lucius held out a gloved hand and Harry shook it with a firm grip.

“I’ll let you know when our first meeting is to set everything up,” Harry said as he walked Lucius to the door. “In the meantime you’re welcome to hire a few members of staff you’ll expect to need in the future.”

“I will do exactly that. Good day.” And with a flourish of his cloak, Lucius swept out of the door.

“You’ll do it, right?” Harry asked his great-grandfather the moment he closed the door.