Chapter 31

Harry requested a simple dinner as he sat down at the kitchen table, and Violet made him a nice piece of fried fish, some mashed potatoes and some green beans. For afters she served him a slice of cake topped with strawberry jam and whipped cream. It was delicious and Harry sat back in his chair after he finished it all, releasing a satisfied moan.

“Watch wolves, watch wolves,” V cawed from his spot on the table. His black beak still had spots of whipped cream on it since V had enthusiastically helped Harry finish his dessert.

Harry sipped his second glass of wine. “You want to go watch the wolves? Is that even safe?”

“Fly, fly.” V flapped his wings for emphasis.

Harry raised his eyebrows. “Okay, yeah, that could work. I need to drop the new copy of the constitution off at Black Manor anyway.”

And so after half an hour, when his dinner had settled a little, Harry pulled on an old, wool cloak since his fur one was currently in the making, and got on his broomstick. He took his time flying to Black Manor while he admired the paved road the elves had built that day. The moon was full so Harry had plenty of light to see by.

Regulus opened the door for him, giving him a questioning look while waving Harry inside.

“Are you moving?” Harry asked as he looked around the entrance hall which was filled with boxes and bags.

Regulus chuckled and shook his head. “No, I’m merely sorting through all the clothes the Black family as accumulated over the years. Sirius and I have no use for it, and Melissa Greengrass, the tailor, asked me for any spare clothes since she’s starting a clothing bank.”

“A what?” Harry asked.

“A clothing bank. It’s simply a name for a place that distributes second-hand clothing to those who need it for free,” Regulus explained with a shrug. “I hadn’t heard of it either, but I’m happy to help. We certainly have no need for any of these clothes, and the children that have moved to the island have nothing to wear.”

“I might dig through my own closet,” Harry said with a thoughtful frown. “I’ve gathered a fair amount of clothing as well over the years that I don’t use.”

“I’m sure Melissa will be happy to take those off your hands.” Regulus shoved a couple of bags to the side. “I’ve sent a note to cousin Cissy as well, since I’m sure she’s got plenty of old clothing to spare, from many generations of Malfoys.”

“What I actually came for is this,” Harry said now that his curiosity was satisfied. He pulled the scroll from the pocket in his cloak and handed it to Regulus. “This is a draft for a constitution. Voldemort came up with that idea, and I think it’s smart to put something like this in place.”

“To protect our right to use all magic,” Regulus guessed with a knowing little smile. “That woman certainly seemed vehement to create an uprising against the use of dark magic.”

“I won’t let that happen,” Harry said with conviction. He hadn’t created a whole new country to get away from Britain’s restrictive laws only for someone else to shit all over his new island. “And a constitution is a legal way to ensure no one will ever change our core principles. I’d like to have your opinion on it, and Sirius and Remus’ too, of course.”