Ch. 17 - Such a Rush

AN: Some potentially triggering grotesque imagery ahead.
Kyoto Jujutsu High - circa 2014 

"Happy birthday, Y/N!" Kage barged into the room you shared at the high school holding a small cake purchased at a local grocer. You looked up at her smiling face, your own expression growing with joy to see her bright and shiny attitude.

"Thanks," you stood up from the armchair you sat in. You had been busy reading before she gave the show stopping entrance.

"Twenty-five~" she sang out, placing the cake on your very small dining table. "We're getting old," she giggled.

"Not that old..." you mumbled, looking down at the cake. It wasn't exactly your type of cake with such cheery, childish decorations but you appreciated her effort. "But thank you, truly," you repeated as she wrapped her arms around your waist. The smell of her perfume was intoxicating. You leaned over and pressed your lips to her forehead, causing her smile to grow.

"That means we've been together for seven years," she pulled herself from you and walked over to the kitchen, grabbing a knife, two forks and plates. 

"That's a long time," you encouraged her. She really brightened your life. It was like the two of you were the sun and moon, incomplete without the other. You watched her carefully as she split a side of the cake into two separate slices, sliding one of each onto a plate - your hand going into your pocket. 

"Here ya' go!" She handed you a plate, nearly catching you off guard. Your grip on the small box in your pocket tightening as you took the plate. Too late...you scolded yourself. "What're you doing?" She asked, noticing how your hand bulged in your pocket and the pained look on your face. You sighed, defeated, and placed your cake on the counter.

"Well...asking you to marry me, I guess," you got down in one swift movement, small smile on your face. 

She was shocked at first, face empty and eyes narrow. Not the reaction you thought would happen... She swallowed hard and with her shaky arm she stuck her hand out. 

"Yes," her voice was tiny, a small and wavering smile on her face. You crinkled your brow out of her confusing behavior but pushed the band around her ring finger.

If only those happy memories had stayed...

Present Day - September 2018

You stood there still expressionless, keeping eye contact with her. Your mind raced with memories as your inner emotions were allowed to return with Kage properly skewered. You felt the edges of your eyes begin to dampen.
The look behind her eyes was desperate, blood streaming from the corners of her mouth. She clung to the large spike with white knuckles. 
It was clear she was trying to disappear, her body attempting to turn to its particle form but each time she tried it just came back. It was as if she was surrounded by smoke, smoke of her own body. 
Small noises escaped from her lips as she tried to keep quiet through the pain, searching for the words she wanted to say. 

"I love you," her voice crackled in a whisper, looking at you with as much affection as you could. You narrowed your eyes at her, unsure if you should be angry or sad. If you were honest it was a mix of both. 

You chose to remain quiet instead and released the spike from your body, it retracted back to your person. This caused a large quantity of blood to spill onto the floor as she fell to her knees, clutching the hole that you had created to keep her inner organs from spilling out. She stared up at you 
Eventually she wasn't able to hold out any longer, her crumpled body falling to one side. You felt frozen. You had obviously killed before...it was your job...but this was clearly different.