2| imperial proclamation

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

◽~Skylor's POV~◽

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

"Forget that matchmaker," Kai huffed, mouth full of bean cake. "Go get Jay. The guy makes way better stuff than Skylor."

Nya silently "ooohh-ed" at me from where she was busy setting the cast around Kai's left arm. I raised my challenging eyes at my husband, daring him to repeat what he had said. Kai faltered under my dangerous gaze and attempted to right his words.

"I mean, he makes stuff almost as good as Skylor. Th-That's what I meant."

I tried to hide my smile behind an approving facade but it was next to impossible. It was always fun to mess with Kai. I couldn't wait for him to get better so that the two of us and Nya could finally go to the hillside for a hike and a picnic. It'd been ages since we last went roaming the countryside.

Kai's condition was not that deadly but he had been strictly ordered to rest his broken arm and sprained leg for more than two weeks at the most. A few days earlier, he had insisted on helping Ray with the roof. Unfortunately, he lost his balance while going farther up and slipped.

You can imagine where that led.

Kai gulped down the previous piece of cake before opening his mouth and giving me permission to feed him more. I scoffed, tired from the day's fiasco and just wanting to rest a little. But being fed and waited upon were a few necessities Kai had acquired on behalf of his injury. And me, being his "obedient" and "respectful" wife had to do what he asked of me.

I loved Kai and I wholeheartedly respected my in-laws but sometimes I couldn't help but think that maybe women were made for more than being picture-perfect wives, ready to bear sons when needed. But that was our culture and our people thought it was absolutely flawless in every way. I thought so otherwise.

Kai hissed in pain as Nya removed his arm from her lap and gently set it back down next to him. I shook my head at his whiny attitude before stuffing the last piece of cake into his mouth and putting the plate aside.

Kai frowned at my hastiness but soon turned to his sister. "Is Dad mad at you about what happened or . . .?"

Nya fell back against the cushion she had been sitting on. "Nope. He was surprisingly very calm about it. In fact, he seemed very supportive. Kept going on about a flower that grows in adversity is the most beautiful kind of all or something like that."

"Huh, weird," Kai, muttered. "I guess he's softening up with age or something."

Nya shrugged, stretching her arms over her head and yawning. She was still wearing her bride kimono and her hair was overflowing with fancy ornaments. Thankfully, she had removed the heavy paint make-up the moment she got home. She didn't look like herself with that mess coating her face.

"Nya, would you like me to brush out your hair?" I asked when I saw her grumpily pulling out the pins and clips from her long, dark tresses.

"Yes, please," she announced, looking grateful at the opportunity of ridding her hair from the traditional junk.

I moved to pick up the brush from my dresser when noises from outside stopped me. They sounded like drums. I felt my forehead crease. The village only beat the drums when officials from the Jade Palace were due to come. It seemed like Kai and Nya had read my mind for the latter immediately dashed out the door while the former tried to get out of bed.

"Woah there, tiger," I said, rushing forward to grab my husband when it looked like he would stumble. "You've got a broken arm. You're not going anywhere."

Kai's nose wrinkled. "Last time I checked, I used my legs to walk, not my arms."

"But you have a sprain too."

"It's just a twisted ankle. It isn't that severe. I'm sure I can walk on it."

The commotion outside was increasing, aggravating Kai's desire to leave even further. When it seemed like he wouldn't stop resisting, I gave up. However, I partially had my way and got to support him on the way to the gate.

I let him lean against the boundary wall as soon as we arrived. Ray and Maya had already stepped out into the street as a trio of white horses appeared, all bearing the royal Jade House crest. I recognized the one in the middle as Hutchins, the Emperor's advisor.

People had gathered up and down the street to watch. Nya tried to squeeze through her parents but was pushed back in by her mother.

"Stay inside," Maya ordered before moving to stand next to her husband. I stood next to mine, glancing back at the pouting ravenette and feeling sorry.

Apparently, it was not considered good for unmarried young women to stand openly in a crowd. Especially, if it majorly consisted of men. Those who were married had to wear their wedding bands at all times in order to be recognized as "someone's pride so don't think of getting any ideas."

I made sure my band was on my finger before hissing back at Nya and nodding at the far end of the wall. She got the hint and sneakily crept towards the end where the stable fence stood. She climbed up and balanced herself on a rail, peeking out from over the wall and shooting me a thumbs-up. Smiling, I turned my attention back to the palace officials.

"Citizens of Ignacia!" Hutchins announced. "I bring a proclamation from the imperial city of Ninjago." He paused and ran his eyes over the crowd before continuing. "The Stone Army has invaded our land."

Many people gasped and cried out at this. I glanced worriedly at Kai who simply shrugged in return.

Hutchins waved about a roll of parchment, trying to catch everyone's attention since people had broken into discussions among themselves. "By order of the Emperor, one man from every family must serve in the imperial army."

He then pulled open the roll and began calling out the names of various families. Men of all ages stepped forth and accepted the invitation to the army. I looked up at Nya. Her features bore a worried countenance. I turned to where she was looking and saw Jay reaching up to take a parchment roll from the guard.

Eventually, the advisor called out our family name and I felt Kai tense up beside me. I wrapped my hand around his to prevent him from doing anything. I saw Maya whisper something to Ray but he ignored it and walked out to the horses. He had been badly hurt during his last battle and wasn't as robust as he used to be. He looked frail and weak as he gazed up at the riders.

"Apologies, sir," he began, standing straight with his arms stuck to his sides. "I only have one son who is currently injured. With all due respect, I would like to present myself to the imperial army in his place."

"Dad-" Kai started but I held him back, glaring at him warningly.

Hutchins looked up and held us in his gaze for a few seconds before nodding. "Very well." The guard pulled out Ray's induction scroll from the satchel. My father-in-law proceeded to take it but paused at the frantic yell.

That's when Nya ran past us and into the crowd.

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️