3| dishonor

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

◽~Skylor's~◽

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪

"Dad, you can't go!" Nya cried out as she pushed through all the people to reach her father.

Ray scowled at her interruption but the girl had already planted herself between him and the guard. "Please, sir," Nya implored, attempting to push Ray farther away from the advisor. "My father has already fought in many–"

"Silence!" Hutchins hollered, bringing his horse right up to the girl. His cold eyes shifted to her father. "You would do well to teach your daughter to hold her tongue in a man's presence."

On a nod from Maya, I immediately advanced over the gate threshold and into the street to retrieve the ravenette. I saw Ray look away from his daughter, face darkening.

"Nya, you dishonor me."

The girl's head dropped. I quickly took a hold of her and moved her a few steps back. I rubbed her arm, aiming to comfort her.

Hutchins tutted at the sight. "Not a single man of the family fit. Daughters with no manners." He turned his face away as if disgusted. "Such a disgrace!"

My blood boiled and I couldn't stop myself. I took a step closer. "Now, listen-"

For the first time, I was thankful Kai had interrupted me at that moment otherwise I would've said something that would've compelled my father-in-law to hide his face in shame. Despite his mother's constant commands to stay put, Kai still limped forward till he was shoulder to shoulder with his father.

"I may be injured but I've trained well under my father's guidance. I know how to fight and I will try my best to put in my full effort." He looked at his sister and I hugged her close to me. He frowned before turning back to Hutchins. "If we are given the chance to compensate for my sister's insubordination, then you will have two men from our family."

"What?" I whispered in disbelief while Nya stiffened in my grasp.

Both father and son looked resolutely up at the advisor who seemed to be in thought. I could see him eyeing Kai's cast and for a moment, I thought he would reject them both. But, he didn't. He sniffed haughtily and thrusted the conscription notice into Ray's hands.

"Report tommorow at camp. I'll have two slots reserved under your family's name."

"Yes, sir," Kai and Ray replied in unison.

Then without saying anything else, they made their way back to the gate. I quietly pulled Nya along with me as I hurried after them. Maya met us at the entrance. She pecked her son on the forehead before taking Nya from me and leading her to the house. I seized the opportunity to stomp up to my husband and block his path.

"What have you done?" I snapped at him. "Look at yourself! You can't go to war!"

"I can't sit here useless and let my father go in my place either," he argued, moving around me. "I have to go."

I opened my mouth to say something but chose not to. When Kai was firm on a decision, there was no changing his mind. All the efforts would be futile. I sighed before looking around, half hoping for a solution to pop out of thin air. I caught sight of Nya on the verandah, looking at me with a crushed expression.

'Are you okay?' I mouthed at her.

She didn't reply. She only shook her head and trudged back into the house.

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

◾~Nya's POV~◾

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

"Dad, I did it for a reason. You saw the way he was talking about our family!"

"Yes, son, I know. But I cannot allow you to be a part of the war. You're not well."

"And neither are you."

I stood outside the armory, shielding the candle's flame with my hand so that its light wouldn't give away my position. I crept up to the door and pressed myself against the wall, listening in to the conversation between my brother and father.

I dared to lean forward to get a view into the room and saw my father extract the sword from his old battle armor which hung in the closet.

"This blade has many memories of war stored in it," he murmured, looking proudly down at the weapon. "It has seen battle only in my grasp and it still gleams today, ready for another brave undertaking. I can't bear to see a war rage on without me. I must return to my glory on the battlefield."

I wanted to walk in, snatch the sword from him and tell him that he couldn't go on with his foolish desire of fighting in such a state. But after all the dishonor I had subjected my father to bear since dawn, I couldn't let him down anymore. And so, I stayed rooted on the spot.

There was a loud shing as my brother pulled out his own sword from its case. It was his most prized possession which Dad had given him as a present for his nineteenth birthday three years ago.

Kai tried to spin it around (one of his favorite tricks he learned from Dad) but ended up putting too much strain on his other arm. He winced, dropping the sword and cradling his aching appendage instead.

I almost ran into the room to help my brother but then I remembered that I was supposed to remain hidden. I could only watch hopelessly from around the corner as my father quickly came to Kai's aid. Dad held him up but he pulled away, mumbling that he was alright. The two gave each other glances that, to me, looked like they were comprised of forced comfort.

I knew they couldn't fight. They would be killed on their knees.

I held back my tears, taking in a shaky breath before silently walking away.

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️