4| retaliation

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

◾~Nya's POV~◾

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

Dinner was quiet that night but it still held some uneasiness. It was like everyone wanted to say something on the matter but didn't know how to word it. Usually, Kai and Skylor would be goofing off or I would be discussing my interest in mechanics. But it was so reserved, no one even pointed out the thunderous storm outside.

Skylor and I poured tea for everyone while Mom served the food. Whilst this occurred, I caught Skylor's attention. I tried to communicate with her through my gazes, nodding towards my father and brother. She shook her head at me, quickly raising a finger to her lips.

I knew I was a bit impulsive and had a habit of rushing into trouble without looking both ways. And I would degrade myself a thousand times before ever ignoring Skylor's warnings; she was sensible when circumstances would change. But right now, I couldn't go along with her.

Although my parents had always treated her like a daughter, her wife status still required her to remain silent and not utter a single word in matters that didn't concern her. I, however, had every right to argue in the name of my family's well-being.

I slowly lowered my cup from my lips before roughly placing it on the table. The action was bound to confound everyone and so it did. I felt adrenaline thrashing in my veins.

"You both shouldn't have to go!" I exclaimed aloud.

"Nya," my mother chided but I neglected her.

I stood up and towered over my family. "There are plenty of other young men to fight for Ninjago!"

I immediately thought of Jay as the words poured from my lips. Personally, I didn't want him to leave either but he would be able to fare much better than Dad and Kai despite him having no past experience.

My brother scowled but my father remained unaffected as if he had known I was going to lash out. "It is an honor to protect my country and my family," he said loudly, a hint of strictness in his voice.

I could feel Skylor tugging on my kimono to make me sit down but I was too angry to think straight.

Kai put his chopsticks on his plate and looked up at me, a kind of seriousness in his eyes that I had never seen before. It was cold compared to the mirthful brother I was used to. "All my life, I've done nothing worthy of honor. This is my chance to prove myself and prevent my family's name from being dragged through the dirt."

I knew he was partially referring to my defiance in front of the royal advisor. I scoffed. So, now it was a matter of shame to voice one's opinion? Or was it only like that for a woman?

"So, you'll die for honor?" I shot back sarcastically.

"We'll die doing what's right," Dad said, standing up and gaining the advantage of his domineering caliber.

"But if you-"

"I know my place!" my father finally snapped, cutting me off. "It is time you learned yours."

"You want me to keep my mouth shut and sit back like a coward? Is that all a daughter's for?" I couldn't stop myself from saying whatever came to mind. It was like my voice and tongue were acting up of their own accord.

Dad glared at me. "I want you to be a good bride. I want you to satisfy the matchmaker and join your name with a respectable family."

Gradually, Skylor's hold on my dress loosened. My father went on with the same painful speech that everyone throws at a woman.

"We all must work together to uphold the family honor. A man must bear arms and a girl must incorporate herself in domiciliary matters."

My frame of thought denied all that my father had to say. Every time someone would mention marriage and matches, my mind would wander back to the mess I had made that morning. And I did not like being reminded of my mistakes.

I was about to retort back when Skylor rose next to me. I turned to her, expecting her to say something in either my defense or my father's. She did neither.

"Excuse me," she said politely, eyes low. With that, she stepped away from the table and proceeded towards the door. Kai held out his good arm to stop her but she readily moved out of the way and disappeared down the hall.

Dad sighed and sat back down. Mom placed a hand on his shoulder before frowning at me. "Nya, maybe you should leave too."

I said nothing. Clenching my fists, I followed Skylor's example and ran from the room. I emerged onto the porch outside and finally burst into tears, leaning against one of the beams holding the roof up.

Lightning cracked through the sky and cold winds bit at my wet face. Rain began pelting the ground, beating a steady rhythm on the cobblestone path that led to the farmyard. I let its noise drown out my quiet sobs as I slid down to the floor.

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️