7| missing

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

~Kai's POV~

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

Something woke me up. Either it was the thunder or someone had broken into our house. At least, that's what it sounded like. I carefully sat up in bed, trying not to hurt my arm in the process.

My wife's name was the first word I uttered. When she didn't reply, I felt her side of the bed in the dark. My heart skipped a beat when I realized it was empty.

"Skylor?" I called out, glancing about the room in a panic.

That's when I became aware of something in my hand. I uncurled my fingers and saw Skylor's wedding ring. "What?" I mumbled, squinting at the band.

A stream of unsettling possibilities invaded my thoughts. I clambered out of bed and bolted into the hall. I directed my bare feet straight to Nya's room. If anyone knew Skylor better than me then it was her. However, I found her missing from her bed as well.

Mind spinning, I called out both their names on instinct. I stormed into my parents' room, not caring to keep quiet. The first thing I noticed was Nya's bracelet on the nightstand.

"Mom! Dad!" I yelled, rushing in to pick up the trinket. The two of them stirred. Dad grumbled under his breath but I had no mind to apologize. "Nya and Skylor are gone!"

All it took was a glance at the nightstand, the bracelet and ring in my hand and the panicked look on my face for my father to understand what was going on. He got out of bed and limped down the hall to the armory. I followed close behind. He threw open the closet and I took in a sharp breath. It was devoid of the armors. Even our swords had disappeared from the rack.

"No, no, no, no," my father mumbled, an expression of pure horror on his face.

The next thing I knew, he was running out into the storm while Mom and I yelled at him to slow down. We emerged onto the porch together. The gates were open and swinging wildly in the winds. That was enough to uphold our suppositions.

"Nya!" Dad yelled out to the night, his voice cracking. "Nya! Skylor!"

I rushed forward before he could collapse onto the wet floor. My arm flamed up with pain but I didn't care. Dad's paleness had numbed my own perceptions.

"You have to go after them!" Mom said, arriving on Dad's other side and looking more scared than I felt. "They'll be killed!"

Dad placed a hand on hers, sharing a look with her. "If I reveal them, they will be."

I was breathing heavily from the rush, the safety of my sister and wife being my only concern at that moment. I turned to the gates. The doors' helplessness in the wind indicated a ghost of their departure. I didn't feel betrayed. Nor did I feel hurt by what they had done.

All I did was gaze up at the gray skies and hope for the best.

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️