9| great responsibility

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

⚜️ ~Captain's POV~ ⚜️

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

Hutchins entered the tent when the general was explaining his strategies to me. I got distracted by his sudden appearance. He seemed annoyed by something he'd seen outside but I couldn't tell. He was usually in an off mood.

A throat cleared. It was the general. I immediately glanced down at my lap to indicate my apology for losing concentration. The general continued, running his riding whip over the map before us.

"The Stone Army has struck here, here and here," he articulated, pointing at various villages and settlements on the canvas. He dispatched a cluster of wooden pieces at the center of the map. "I will lead my troops to the Corridor of Elders. I'll try to stop Kozu so that his army can't pose a threat to the local villages."

"An excellent plan, General Garmadon," Hutchins accoladed, sitting down beside our table. "The Stone Army will definitely be surprised."

The general smiled, the corners of his eyes wrinkling. Hutchins would never let a moment pass where he could flatter his seniors and get on their good side. But General Garmadon never favored anyone so, in my opinion, the advisor was wasting his time.

The general looked at me and I sat up straight, meeting his eyes. He picked up a sheathed sword at his side and presented it to me. "You will stay here and train the new recruits, Captain."

I gave him a firm nod, accepting the gift. It was hard not to let my excitement overflow. It dimmed a little when Hutchins broke in. "But, General Garmadon, that is a great responsibility. Maybe you should bestow your trust upon a more experienced soldier."

I frowned at the advisor. However, the general replied before I could say anything.

"Number one in his class, extensive knowledge on different training techniques," he paused and lowered his voice a little, a slight smirk on his lips, "and a paramount military lineage."

I couldn't help but smile when Hutchins rolled his eyes. The general reached for his helmet, unaware of the exchange.

"I believe Lloyd will be excellent for the job."

Forget what I said about him not favoring anybody.

I tightened my grip around the sword, a feeling of pride swelling in my chest. "Oh, I will. I won't let you down. You can count on me, General."

"When Hutchins thinks you are ready, you are to meet me at the Corridor," the general said, standing up. He walked towards the exit of the tent, the advisor following suit. "We'll finish the Stone Army off together and toast our victory at the imperial city."

He turned to Hutchins. "I'll expect a full report in three weeks."

"Don't worry, sir. I won't leave anything out."

With that the two of them stepped outside. I was alone in the tent. I bit my lip in an attempt to control my jumpiness. It was very childish of me to get so worked up about being in charge of half the army but it was an honorable post just the same.

I strapped the sword to my belt and puffed out my chest. "Captain Lloyd, leader of Ninjago's finest troops," I muttered. "No, no. The greatest troops of all time. Yep, that's it."

With the pride still going strong, I walked out of the tent to look upon my new army. I was expecting a sturdy assembly of brave young men.

Not a free-for-all dogfight.