Chapter One

Annabeth looked up at the night sky, her mind blank and yet wandering amongst the stars, which shone brilliantly against the ink black canvas. The breeze was gentle and warm, but she shivered none the less, wrapping herself up in her arms. Waves lapped weakly against the beach, creating a soft, rhythmic and relaxing noise as the sand was dragged back into the depths of the ocean. She dug her feet into the sand, letting the cold grains envelope her feet. The moon shone, just enough to create an eerie white glow on the oceans surface. It was a reminder. A painful reminded to what she had lost. What she had willingly given up because of her idiocy.

She stared out at the horizon, as if expecting something. For her missing piece to approach from the endless surface of glassy water. To magically appear in front of her, for the Fates to be on her side for just one minute. That's all Annabeth needed, a minute of peace in this decade of despair. She had made an ignorant decision, and now everyone had paid the price.

She twisted the ring on her finger- a simple but elegant and beautiful ring, the same one that he had planned to propose to her with. It fit perfectly, and she didn't have the courage to return it. Annabeth looked down at the sand mournfully, as if begging for it to help her, before looking back up. She remembered everything. She saw the both of them, slow dancing in the moonlight. The water gently lapped at their feet and ankles as he swayed her back and forth, holding her gently by the hips. His face hovered a few inches above hers, smiling gently and kindly at her. He grabbed one of Annabeth's hands gently and lifted it slowly and carefully, spinning her under the silvery glow of the moon. He pulled her closer, his faces an inch from hers, and leaned in.

Annabeth saw herself, sitting on the shore, and staring out at the water with a smile on her face. A collection of shells and starfish sat next to her, as well as a blueprint to a building. He erupted from the surface on the water, smiling brightly. He asked her something and she laughed, nodding her head. Despite all the talking in her memories, it was silent- like the fates decided she didn't deserve to hear his voice. His grin grew broader and he ran up, dumping another handful of beautiful, multicolored shells into the pile. Annabeth gave him a soft kiss on the cheek and pointed to a large pile of sand, then the blueprint, brushing a piece of hair from her face. He looked between the blueprint and the pile of sand with squinted eyes, then stood. Annabeth looked up at him with a confused expression but he just smiled and grabbed her hand, pulling her up gently. He pulled her to the pile of sand and started pointing around and talking quickly, with Annabeth smiling and nodding along the entire time.

She saw the both of them, laying on the beach hand in hand. They were gazing up at the stars with small smiles on their faces. He looked over at Annabeth and said something, which made her smile a little bit more while he laughed. They turned their faces back to the sky and he pointed to Zoe. He gripped her hand and pulled it up to his face, kissing the back of it lightly. Annabeth smiled and cuddled up to him, listening to him talk, nodding and occasionally laughing. They looked back up at the brave huntress one last time, and she had just enough time to see them both mouth "Bob says hello" before the scene vanished, just as the others.

Annabeth stood, brushing sand from her clothes and wiping tears from her face, she slowly walked away from the ocean. It was her fault.

She's the reason he's gone.

I'm the reason we lost Percy.

-

Piper stared into a mirror. It was like she couldn't look away, entranced by the reflection of the world around her. It was dark in the Aphrodite cabin. All she could see in the mirror were soft glints of the moon's light, reflecting off of the elegant decorations placed around the cabin, and two tiny moons shimmering in her eyes. They wavered as another tear fell from her face, hitting Piper's already soaked blanket, which was drawn tightly around her. She didn't bother to wipe her wet face free of tears. More would come anyway. The mirror seemed to tease her, shimmering and rippling like the tears in her eyes, before she saw something other than soft reflections of the moon.