Chapter Two

The next morning, everyone was... well, acted fine. No one mentioned Nico's hoodie on the hot day, Jason's bloodied and scabbed fists or the way Frank pushed his food around on his plate. No one mentioned the bags under Annabeth's eyes, nor the scars along her arms. No one mentioned Piper's inability to laugh, nor Hazel's silence. 

That breakfast was peaceful- until someone appeared in the dining pavilion out of thin air. All the older campers immediately jumped up, drawing their weapons, but the figure held their casual pose, seemingly unfazed. "Stand down."

An aura of charmspeak washed over them, making them hesitate, weapons lowering a few inches, but the people that were a part of the Giant War lifted them back up as soon as they lowered.

"Who are you?" Chiron asked, standing and motioning for the campers to move away. "What is your purpose here?"

"I have no ill intent," the figure spoke, their voice holding such authority Annabeth wondered if it was a god in disguise.

The figure... They didn't really have features. They did, but if you tried to focus on anything, it would shift, changing changing. Everything was constantly changing- their eyes, hair, nose, lips, skin tone, almost looking like a glitch, flickering below the surface.

"Your camp is in danger. War criminals have escaped and are targeting this camp, for reasons unknown. I am here to help."

Chiron stomped one of his hooves when panic broke out of the crowds. "Everyone please return to your cabins for the moment. Cabin heads, stay here."

Several minutes later, the leaders of each cabin were standing by Chiron, the figure remaining eerily still the entire time. Jason, Will, Clarisse, Thalia, Travis, Piper, Annabeth, Katie, Leo, Nico, as cabin heads, remained, but as part of the seven, Hazel and Frank stayed as well.

"What makes you think we're being targeted?" Annabeth spoke up, unable to keep herself from asking the question that had been pressuring her for quite a while. "How do you know they've broken out? Where have they broken out from?"

The person grimaced, avoiding looking at her, instead staring straight ahead- very soldier-like. "They've escaped from Kenós- The Void."

The campers looked confused, but Chiron paled, his voice lowering into a pained whisper. "How can you be sure?"

"Direct reports from the dimension, sir."

"Void?"

"Yes, sir. They are very communicative- they like having their prisoners. They want them back as much as we want them gone."

"Has there been a prophecy?"

"No- The prophecy only works for this dimension's fate. External forces are not controlled by the Fates."

Chiron cursed. "Who sent you? How do we know we can trust you? Who do you work for?"

"My name is Solus. I was sent by a higher-up. You don't- you simply have to accept that without my help, this mortal plane is doomed."

"Chiron-"

"Shush," Chiron hushed Annabeth, looking extremely concerned, clearly focused. She looked taken aback but stayed quiet. 

"What do you need?" he asked after several minutes of silence.

"The leaders of the giant war. Their expertise is required to complete the mission."

"Mission?"

"Yes, sir. We need to go to the Void."

Chiron's face set in a hard line. "That is a suicide mission. I'm not sending my kids off to certain death."