Chapter Five - Third Day

With a resounding snapping sound, Percy froze, then dissolved into pieces of ash.

"Interesting. You all have the exact same fear. Why don't I ease your mind, then?"

Solus floated down, stepping in the ash remains of the illusion. Annabeth took a step away, swallowing thickly and blinking through her tears.

"Ah, such a shame. You're all much more affected by the illusion than I thought. Then again, I suppose it is your worst fear... It's that he'll come back and hate you, correct? All of you. He'll repent you for what you've done. You fear you'll have to face your sins to your ex leaders face. Rather peculiar- I thought you guys would be less of cowards."

"That was cruel," Piper hissed, cradling Jason in her arms, tears streaming down her face.

"Was it? Or was I preparing you for what might come?"

"Percy's dead, Solus," Frank spoke for the first time in a while, shaking his head. "No one comes back from the dead."

"And if he never died in the first place? What would you say then?"

There was a hesitant silence as the idea washed over them. It was impossible, they had found him dead. The body, the smell, the blood- it was real. 

Right?

With a simple wave of his hand, a mirage appeared- a vision of when Percy had been leaving the White House, over ten years prior. 

"So stupid," he muttered, shaking his head with tears streaming down his face. "This is all your fault."

My fault? How ever is it my fault? We're both to blame. Plus, I think this whole thing has been fun!

"You do. I don't."

Percy got to his cabin, slamming the door down and collapsing down onto his bed, staring at his hands, which were shaking and covered with blood and caked-on ash. He blinked away tears, shaking his head. "I need to leave."

Leave? Where to? They'll come searching for you. The gods, too.

"Then I'll make sure they don't."

With a mere wave of his hand, Percy's body appeared- sword, blood and all, with the real Percy standing over him. 

Straight through the heart- how horrifying of you, Jackson. I love it.

Percy scowled, shaking his head. "It'll be easier for them this way. I'm leaving for the betterment of everyone."

Just as Nico started to knock on the door, Percy looked up and, with a sad smile, allowed the shadows to swallow him, leaving only the faux corpse behind. 

The vision disappeared. 

"He's... Alive?" Everyone was too shocked about the vision to even mention that Hazel spoke for the first time in years. 

"Who knows anymore- It has been ten years." Solus shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest. "Whatever the case, y'all need to get over it."

Jason coughed, rubbing his nose as he looked up at Solus, shaking his head. "No. I think- I think you're really Percy."

"Jason, even I can tell that's a stupid thought. Percy would never be such an asshole," Leo growled, sneering. 

"If you're as amazing as you claim to be, why do you need to conceal your identity? Are you scared?" Piper's eyes flared, anger overcoming her. Annabeth bit her bottom lip nervously.

Solus' eyes flashed dangerously. "To ensure my identity doesn't interfere with the mission. I am merely here to boost strength. Remember the fair natural selection? Remember your strength, McLean- you're stronger than most, but words can't take you everywhere."