Ch 28- Summer

Adelaide Ron & Hermione sent various letters to each other throughout the summer. She also sent a few letters to Harry, giving him regards from both Hermione and Ron. Adelaide would spend hours on the phone, talking to Hermione. She would have called Harry too, but she knew about Ron's disastrous attempt.

Vernon Dursley speaking."

Harry, who happened to be in the room at the time, froze as he heard Ron's voice answer.

"HELLO? HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? I — WANT — TO — TALK — TO — HARRY — POTTER!"

Ron was yelling so loudly that Uncle Vernon jumped and held the receiver a foot away from his ear, staring at it with an expression of mingled fury and alarm.

"WHO IS THIS?" he roared in the direction of the mouthpiece. "WHO ARE YOU?"

"RON — WEASLEY!" Ron bellowed back, as though he and Uncle Vernon were speaking from opposite ends of a football field. "I'M — A — FRIEND — OF — HARRY'S — FROM — SCHOOL —"

Uncle Vernon's small eyes swivelled around to Harry, who was rooted to the spot.

"THERE IS NO HARRY POTTER HERE!" he roared, now holding the receiver at arm's length, as though frightened it might explode. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT SCHOOL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN! DON'T YOU COME NEAR MY FAMILY!"

And he threw the receiver back onto the telephone as if dropping a poisonous spider.

A few weeks later Adelaide made her visit to Diagon Alley.

After getting her potion ingredients, depositing in her vault, getting her new robes, she came across it. Her mouth fell open as she saw the Firebolt on a window display. It looked so damn sleek and glossy. Good lord!

'Price on-demand' she read. Yeah, right. Shaking her head she walked past to Flourish and Blotts.

"Hogwarts? Come to get your new books?" the manager said walking toward the cage of Monster Book of Monsters.

"Yes, I need —"

"Get out of the way," said the manager impatiently. He drew on a pair of very thick gloves, picked up a large, knobbly walking stick, and proceeded toward the door of the Monster Books' cage.

"Do you need help?" Adelaide offered.

"And how could you help me?" the manager asked, annoyed.

"Ummm, I could get this book myself. Could you just get the rest of the books for me?" she said.

He looked at her incredulously, then gave up leaving her to deal with the monstrous, snapping books, grumbling under his breath that she would come back wailing when the book bites her hand off, as he left to get her other books.

"Let's see" Adelaide whispered and she levitated a single book with wandless magic. The book snarled and snapped with its jaws at the air.

She brought it closer and stroked its spine, and that's all it took. The book fell onto her palm with a plop, looking as innocent as any other book, purring slightly. Adelaide felt a small smile creep up her face.

"Here you go," the manager said as he walked up to her with a huge pile of books. His eyes went wide as saucers when he saw the book lying in her hand peacefully.