5: Understand

Bottle's POV:

I opened my eyes. A bright, blinding light was being blocked by someone hovering over me. I sat up, and saw that it was Tree. He was crying. "B...Bottle...? He said, his voice shaking, "You're...you're alive!"

He hugged me, and I happily hugged back. I was confused on why he was so upset...I mean, if I shattered, Four could've brought me back!

But...that's not what it felt like.

Every other time I'm revived...it's like I pass out. Everything goes black, and then I wake up next to Four. This time, though...I actually went somewhere. It was like I was in a dream, but...it was so real.

When he pulled away, he was staring at me. He looked concerned, like there was something wrong, so I reached up to touch my face. I felt a large crack on the top of my head, and when I traced my finger along it, I realized it went straight through my eye. Not only that...there was a gaping hole where my eye was supposed to be. I blinked, realizing that I only had half my vision. I spotted the missing shard next to me, and I picked it up.

Tree put a hand on my shoulder, "Hey...it'll be okay. I...I know it hurts now, but-"

"What hurts?" I asked. He was taken aback. "Wh...what? The shard, Bottle. I'm talking about- wait, do you even...feel it?"

I shook my head, "No...I don't really feel anything, actually!"

Tree's POV:

She sounded so cheerful, just like she normally does, but...the words she was saying didn't match at all.

"What do you mean you don't feel anything? You can't feel any pain right now?" I asked.

"Nope! I don't feel any feelings either!" She said with a smile, despite having just said she didn't feel any emotion. I didn't want to make her answer any more questions since it might become pressuring to her, but...it didn't make any sense. She had a huge crack, and a chunk of her face was missing.

She looked around, realizing we were in a different place from before. "Oh, right...we had to move you, since the weird objects were coming."

She blinked in confusion. "What?"

Oh, right...she didn't know. She was out the whole time..."Well, after you were knocked out, a bunch of strangers just started...walking towards us. Everyone was running, so...I brought you here. We're in the host's house now...Needle's here too, since she got attacked. Everybody else is fine, though..." I paused, "It's...a miracle you're alive. I...I really thought..." She waited patiently for me to finish. I knew she didn't understand, but...she died. Her heart wasn't beating for...five minutes? An hour? I'm not sure, but...then she just woke up like nothing happened! I didn't know if it was Four, or...maybe I just made a mistake? She probably was just asleep. I shouldn't worry about it too much. She's alive, and that's all that matters.

Needle's POV:

"I was 100% sure! You can't be alive right now...you were dead!" Golf Ball yelled. I rubbed my head, since her voice wasn't helping the pain. "Nobody can survive that amount of electricity...especially not a conductor like yourself! Volts go straight into metal...you should be dead! I was so sure...I'm never wrong!"

Tennis Ball rubbed her back, "It's alright GB. You probably just made a mistake! It happens to everyone, it's really not that big of a deal."

"Of course it is! She was dead!" She shot back, "If I was wrong about something as easy as this, who am I to call myself a scientist?"

I laid back in the bed as they argued. The ceiling was white, with a beaming light shining down on me, making me shut my eyes. The sound of yelling was soon blocked out by my own thoughts. Golf Ball said I was...dead. I knew I was alive, but...she was right. I felt myself dying. I saw the light... I saw the afterlife.

...Was that really the afterlife? It definitely could have just been a crazy dream, but...why then? Why would I just fall asleep in a moment like that?

I was still twitching from the electric shock. It was like I had an insane amount of energy, but it was painful. Whoever that battery was must've been extremely powerful.

The room got dark, and I opened my eyes once again. Golf Ball had turned the light off, and Tennis Ball wasn't there anymore. She sighed, "Look...I get that you're alive, obviously, but...this has never happened to me before. I always have a reasonable explanation for everything. Everything in this universe has strict rules that they always follow." She was staring at her clipboard, clearly frustrated, "If an object stops breathing...if their heart stops completely...they're dead, and the only way to fix that is with either a recovery center or an Algebralien. There's no recovery centers anymore, and Four wasn't the one who revived you. So...I'm not sure anymore."

She adjusted her glasses before leaving the room. I almost felt bad for her. After all, she was trying to help me...I think. I knew she was used to being able to explain everything, and...this is a tough thing to understand. The only explanation could be a miracle, but I'm sure she wouldn't accept that.

I wanted to fall asleep, but I couldn't. It was like my brain was completely separated from my body, like it wasn't my own. I layed in bed for around an hour before getting up. When I stood, the world felt...different. Nothing changed at all, but...I almost felt dizzy somehow? Like when you picture a place in your mind, it's never exactly the same as the actual place. Something's always off about it, and that's what this felt like. There was a throbbing pain in my head, and I put my hands on a desk to lean on. I looked in a mirror beside me, and my vision was blurry. My hands were shaking and twitching, and when I looked in the mirror I could barely recognize my face. I looked the same, but I didn't look like me.

What's happening to me?