Chapter Three- Take me back

6 years ago, 9 months before Lenlee's death...

Ashley groggily opens her eyes. The sun is streaming through the curtains of her room. She lazily turns over to her bedside table, looking at the clock. It is 7 am, that's late for a school day.

"Wait..." Ashley murmurs, before shooting out of bed. "I'm going to be late for the bus!" Ashley shouts to herself, throwing on a hoodie at sweatpants before running out of her bedroom. She grabs her backpack and picks up sandals on the way out before running out the door.

She makes it to the bus stop right as the bus gets there, she sees Chris looking around for her. He sees her and smiles, she smiles back and runs up to hug him. They both then go take a seat on the bus.

"You're late today," Chris observes. He is wearing a red shirt with red basketball shorts.

"I forgot to set my alarm, it's the first day of school and I'm so used to summer," Ashley explains, it technically still is summer since it's August. Chris chuckles and kisses her forehead, Ashley smiles.

"We all make mistakes, have you learned what your classes are yet?" Chris asks.

"Yep, I only have three classes since I did a bunch of honors stuff. I have Math, Art, and Criminal Justice, in that order." Ashley answers, Chris gives a half-smile.

"That's good, I don't have any classes with you this year. I only have 2 classes this year, but I think I'm going to join a club. Which reminds me, I wanna ask you something." Chris says.

"You can ask me anything," Ashley reassures.

"Well, you failed your drivers' test, and I don't think you want to take the bus the rest of your senior year. So maybe you would want me to pick you up every morning?" Chris offered.

"Oh, Lenlee already offered. Even though I'm not sure how she didn't fail her drivers' test. Maybe you can drive me sometimes?" Ashley informs, feeling awkward. Chris sighs in disappointment, looking out the bus window.

"I'll talk to Lenlee and ask if she won't mind you driving with me," Chris murmurs. Ashley nods her head, not wanting to get in between it. Ashley knows that Chris and Lenlee don't like each other, Ashley doesn't know why though. The rest of the bus ride is silent between the couple, until the bus stops and they get off the bus.

"Ready for your first day of school?" Chris questions, wrapping an arm around Ashley's shoulder as they walk into school.

"You sound like my mother," Ashley chuckles, leaning her head on Chris's shoulder. Her head perks up when she sees the familiar face of Lenlee at her locker. Lenlee is wearing a light blue sweater with black pants, a white choker, and black combat boots. Ashley walks up to Lenlee.

"These are your new shoes for the year?" Ashley teases, shrugging out of Chris's hold and running up to Lenlee. Ashley has always thought it was so weird that Lenlee only wore one pair of shoes. She only changed shoes after the previous pair were too worn out to be wearable.

"Yep, if these last as many months as Chris's IQ level I should be good until May." Lenlee answers, smiling. Ashley hears Chris sigh from behind her.

"What are your classes this year?" Ashley asks.

"I have art and biology class. I'm also in the theater club this year." Lenlee answers.

"Really? In what order?" Ashley questions.

"I have biology, then art. Theater is last." Lenlee responds. Ashley is happy Lenlee is doing theater again this year, it has always been one of Lenlees favorite things.