Chapter 11

Savannah, Georgia, two years later.

Agatha pushed her way through the Emergency Room doors, saying good morning to her fellow nurses as she headed for the locker room to store her stuff. The first day back from vacation was always the hardest, but at least now she was on the morning shift. It was the shift she preferred. She felt she was sharper in the mornings.

"You're back!" Debby, who was a dark-headed and well-rounded surgical nurse, greeted.

"I am. How is everything here?" Agatha asked as she threw everything in her locker, locked it, then hung her I.D. around her neck.

"Fine. DeGraff has a new doctor who is here for a three-month trial period. It looks like the old man might finally be retiring if he works out," Debby said as she followed her out of the locker room.

"Is he nice?" Agatha asked as she moved toward the nurse's station, saying hi to Holly and Mickey as she did. It was an important question. It was primarily a teaching hospital, and the trained doctors and nurses sometimes needed a little extra patience with the students.

"Are we talking about the new trauma surgeon?" Mickey asked as she placed her bright pink stethoscope around her neck. Mickey was a fit young blond who made her scrubs look like high fashion. Her hair was always perfectly highlighted and cut.

"We are." Debby nodded, about to say something before she got cut off.

Holly shoved her last bite of yogurt into her mouth before throwing the container away. "He's something to look at, that's for sure. I heard he was Army, and he looks dangerous enough." Holly was of average height and build, with medium brown hair and a pert little nose.

"I think he's mean," Debby said, crossing her arms defensively.

"Is he?" Holly asked, sounding surprised. Holly wasn't a surgical nurse. Both she, Mickey, and Agatha were trauma nurses. They would deal with the surgeons some, but not like the surgical nurses would.

"Yes, if even the smallest thing happens, he loses it. He made Maddy cry." Debby nodded vigorously as if it would make her statement mean more.

"Poor, Maddy!" Holly said, ready to side with her fellow nurses immediately and without question.

Agatha felt her heart stop. Rude, impatient, known to make nurses cry, handsome, and ex-Army. He sounded familiar, but it couldn't be. Surely she would have known if he was coming? Would she, though? They hadn't spoken in over two years. He probably hadn't thought of her once.

"His name wouldn't be Merrick, would it?" Agatha asked, holding her breath, praying it wasn't while hoping it was.

"Yes!" Debby exclaimed, full of surprise. "How did you know?"

"I've heard of him." Agatha felt her heart lurch and her hands started to shake. It had been two years since he had left her in Paris. She knew that Silas DeGraff had wanted to retire and had been looking for a replacement, but how had he found Merrick?"

"Forget about Merrick. How was your vacation with that delicious Alistair?" Mickey asked, changing the subject.

"He's my cousin, Mickey!" Agatha said, shaking her head in disapproval while being thankful that she had changed the subject.

Alistair Stevens had visited Agatha before her vacation and had charmed every nurse he met. They were all in love with him, but then most women who met him were with his dark good looks.

"He's still yummy!" Mickey said with a sigh.

Agatha felt the hair on her arms stand on end as she watched Debby pinch her lips together. She knew if she turned around, she would see Merrick approaching. He was the only person she knew who could make a person react in such a negative way.