Chapter 13

It was a month later, and Merrick had been at the hospital for almost two months, which left one more month to get through before he decided if he would stay. They saw each other at least once every shift that Agatha worked, but it wasn't the same as it had been in the Army.

Agatha should be glad that Merrick had taken what she said about being a teaching hospital to heart, even if it meant that the entire nursing staff was in love with him within the month. To hear them tell it, he was a perfectionist who made them all better, and it made Agatha roll her eyes. Yes, he was a perfectionist, but the real cause of their sudden devotion was that he was an intelligent, strong, handsome doctor who was well off due to the nature of his profession.

However, Agatha couldn't blame them, especially since she knew that the private side of him was even better than the professional one. No matter how hard her day being so close to him was, she still wished for the moon and the stars and another night in Roark's arms. Agatha had dreamed more about their two weeks in Paris over the last two months than she had over the previous two years.

Oh, she had thought about Roark often and fondly since he had left her in Paris, but he was so far out of her reach that she didn't hope for him the way she did now.

Agatha slammed her locker shut, it had been a miserable shift, and she was ready to go home and curl up on the couch with some takeout and watch mindless television until she fell asleep. She often slept on her couch because it felt less lonely than the bed.

As she was leaving, she heard two nurses talking about Merrick. She didn't know them well, so they didn't stop to say hello, which allowed her to head right for the exit, but not before she heard a little more of their conversation.

"He's so sexy! Did you know he was in the Army? I heard he was special forces!" one nurse said.

Agatha bit back a hoot of laughter at that one.

"No, really? I worked with him the other day, and his arm brushed my shoulder. You should feel those muscles! I heard he's rich." The other nurse said.

Agatha headed for the exit without a backward glance, not wanting to hear another word because she was done. Right then and there, her decision was made. She still had vacation time owed to her, and she'd bet she would have no problem taking it off since Chloe was still super remorseful about what had happened on Veteran's Day.

Perhaps she would go to New York and spend some time with her parents. Having made her mind up, she decided to email Chloe in the morning. The schedule ran through the following week, and she couldn't take time off until then, but at least it would get her away for most of the month, and if Merrick decided to stay, she could resign and move somewhere else.

If he decided to stay, her remaining at the same hospital with him was not an option.

It was pouring rain as she exited the hospital, and she buried her face in her hands and took a deep breath, her shoulders shaking as the stress overwhelmed her. Why should she have to leave?! She loved Savannah!

"Are you alright?" Merrick's deep voice asked from behind her.

Agatha spun on her heel to look at him. He had his bag thrown over his shoulder, an umbrella in his hand, and looked as if he was leaving too.

"No, Roark, I'm not." She felt tears of frustration building, no longer able to hold back the words. They had been honest with each other in the past, and it was time to be again. "I can't do this. I can't work in this hospital wanting you as I do. I thought the attraction would have faded by now, but it hasn't, and I don't think it ever will. I have done nothing but listen to conversations about how awesome you are for the last month, and it makes me want to scream!"