Chapter 17

Sam was Agatha and Mave's date to his father's retirement party the following Friday night. Agatha had a flight out to New York with her cousin Mave the following day and didn't want to go to the party at all, but she promised that she would. Sam's mother, Penny, had planned the party at the Old Pink House. It was a premier restaurant in the city, and the food was sure to be delicious.

They had to wait for Mave to get ready before they could leave, so the party was in full swing when they arrived fashionably late. Agatha recognized almost everyone there, including Merrick. It shouldn't have caught her off guard to see him there because he had agreed to attend, but it did.

"Are you alright?" Sam whispered in her ear when he saw Merrick across the room.

"I'm fine, thanks," Agatha reassured him as Mave brought them both drinks.

"Look who's here. Roark Merrick. Do you two know him? He's Aunt Trisha's nephew." Mave said as she sipped her champagne, unaware that she had surprised Agatha with her statement. "He's a doctor or something." Mave was eyeing him. "I met him years ago when he was on leave from the Army. He's even better looking now than he was then."

Realizing Mave expected her to say something and would find it odd if she didn't, she told her the bare truth. "I served with him overseas, and now he's a surgeon at the hospital. Silas hired him as his replacement, so I'm sure we'll be attending Silas's retirement party next."

Agatha was proud of how matter of fact she sounded even though Mave's revelation had made her head spin. Merrick had never mentioned meeting Mave. How much more did he know about her family than he had admitted to knowing? Had Merrick known about her parents? Had he played her?

The thought made her mad, which was better than being sad.

Merrick noted the three of them standing together watching him; Mave with interest, Sam with wariness, and Agatha with anger. Deciding to take the bull by the horns, he moved in their direction.

"Sam, Stevens," he greeted.

"You remember my cousin, Mave? She just mentioned that you two have met before." Agatha said sweetly. Merrick's eyes narrowed at her statement, and he wasn't fooled by her sweet tone for a minute.

"Mave," he greeted, playing it smart and neither confirming nor denying the fact.

Agatha suddenly wanted to be far away from him, so when she noted her good friends Finn and Lily Baxter across the room, she quickly moved to join them without a backward glance.

Finn was a former Navy Seal and a famous actor who had lost his leg during his service. He was the one who had told her how much nurses had meant to him after it had happened. Lily was a famous actress and singer in her own right too. She and Finn had met while making a television show. Lily had also babysat them all when they were kids.

"I hear you're going back to New York," Lily said as she hugged her.

"Yes, I'm ready to be closer to family." Agatha agreed. Once again, the family phone tree had helped spread the word. 

"I hear the new doctor replacing Silas is something?" Lily said as she looked across the room to where he was still talking with Sam and Mave.

"Yes, he's very good," Agatha vaguely agreed.

"Can I talk to Aggie?" Chole Jurick asked as she approached their little group.

"Sure, we'll catch up later," Lily said, patting Agatha's arm.

"Aggie, I have to know, did you resign because of what happened on Veteran's Day?" Chloe looked very upset at the idea.

"Oh no, I promise, Chloe. I'm ready to spend more time with my family, that's all." Agatha hugged her close. "You know I don't like a lot of attention. I never have. I was furious at Dr. Merrick for making such a big deal about it."