Chapter 25 (The end)

Six months later. Paris.

Agatha had never told her family about the loss of the baby. In the end, it was too hard to do, and there would have been no point in telling them. She and Roark were helping each other recover.

However, even though they chose not to share about the pregnancy, they did announce their engagement which pleased everyone, including her father.

Agatha and Roark spent the week he had off recalling every significant memory they shared and learning the other's perspective during it. It had helped them both realize that they had been fighting a losing battle from the beginning, that they were meant to be together, and if it hadn't been the Army, it would have been Aunt Trisha.

Neither of them wanted to wait to get married, but Agatha knew her family would like to be there, so she had to give everyone enough time to clear their schedule. The location of the wedding was not up for debate. They both agreed it had to be Paris, where it all began.

So in a little church, dressed in a light pink dress with Roark on her arm and surrounded by her family, they said the vows that would link them together forever.

He was finally hers, and she was finally his.

The ceremony was short, and afterward, everyone returned to the apartment, including Rudy, Jade, and their daughter, Jillian. Agatha had insisted that Roark needed to get to know his niece. It was the only way he could truly heal and let Rudy and Jade realize they hadn't won.

The apartment was buzzing with Stevens, and even Aunt Trisha had made the trip. Eli was at the piano, and the champagne was flowing. It had been too many years since her family had gathered for a celebration, and it was a wonderful day.

Jillian was giddy watching them all, and she had latched herself onto her uncle's arm as he introduced her to everyone. It was a lovely thing to watch. There was still a strong bond between the two, and Agatha especially enjoyed the sour look it put on Jade's face. Despite her iffy parental situation, Jillian was a joy to have around.

"Happy wife, happy life?" Sam toasted as he walked toward her with a grin that seemed a little bit forced.

Agatha had noticed a few changes in him over the last few months, and she knew something was going on, but he wouldn't say what. He was much more serious than he had ever been, and she missed the old easy-going Sam. All she could do was be there for him the way he had been there for her should the need arise.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Agatha asked him once more.

Sam wrapped her in a hug. "I'm sure." He stood back and looked at her. "Agatha, do you realize you smell like cookies again?"

Agatha froze. His words sent both fear and hope coursing through her all at once as she held tight to him, unable to let go as she fought off a wave of emotion.

Sam held her tight. "I heard once, a long time ago, and I can't remember where, that a baby is given three chances to be born to its parents,"  he whispered in Agatha's ear. "I sure do hope that's true. It would be a blessing.

Sam always said the right thing.

"Aggie, come and sing!" Cassie insisted as she held out her hand, ending the moment.

Agatha squeezed Sam's arm as she wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

"All right, but you pick the song," Agatha insisted as she joined Eli and her mother at the piano.

They chose Moon River, and her mother listened to Agatha sing it alone. It was a lovely song about allowing life to flow and lead you where it may. It also brought a touch of home since it was written by Savannah native Johnny Mercer and was inspired by the river next to his Savannah home.

When the song was over, Cassie hugged her close. "Roark requested this one," she softly said before she launched into the Edith Piaf song that he had asked her to dance to all those years ago.

Agatha looked across the room at him and smiled. He had known what the lyrics meant and what he was asking. Agatha walked across the room toward him as her mother sang.

"If only I had known then, what I know now, I would have danced with you," she whispered.

"A toast!" Mason called as he ushered everyone out onto the terrace that overlooked the city as someone shoved a glass of champagne in Agatha's hand.

Mason spent a good five minutes waxing poetic about love, Cassie, his daughters, and Paris before everyone held up their glass and then drank. Agatha held it to her lips, but she didn't sip.

Roark noticed right away, and as his eyes met hers, she smiled and nodded at the unasked question.

"It's not definite, but Sam says he smelled cookies again," Agatha went up on tiptoe and said into his ear so only he could hear.

"You're going to have to explain that to me one day, and I hope this isn't how we find out about all of our children. Just once, I would like to know before Sam does," Roark insisted. One thing was for sure, Roark was meant to be a father.

"So would I!" Agatha agreed with a smile, liking the sound of children. It really didn't matter how they knew. What mattered was that she was pregnant.

"Now it's time for the couple to dance to their song!" Cassie said in a rush before anyone could object. She nodded toward Eli, who reached for his guitar. "Everyone, make room!"

Roark held out his hand, just as he had more than two years ago in the same spot, and asked her to dance. This time Agatha agreed and let him take her in his arms for their first dance. For some people, the special moment was the first word, hug, or kiss, but it was a dance for them. It was the final surrender.

The song Cassie chose was, So It Goes, and it was perfect. It was as if her mother had been present for every one of her and Roark's encounters. It was a song about trusting another in love again but acknowledging that they too had a choice, and no matter what that choice might be, the love that followed was inevitable.

Cassandra Stevens, her mother, had gotten it right one more time.

Roark held Agatha tight as the song surrounded them in a promise that would last a lifetime.

The End