Chapter 20

Agatha was crammed in the car with what felt like half of her family but was only a handful of them, and it was almost a relief to arrive at Trisha's party. Almost. She was apprehensive as she followed her cousin Alistair, his parents, Aunt Grace and Uncle Bryce, and her Uncle Davis and Aunt Laura down the hall toward the party.

It was in full swing, and they could hear laughter floating down the hall toward them from the open penthouse door.

"Trisha is on a roll tonight. Everyone watch their backs," Lizzy said as she floated down the hall to greet them. It amazed Agatha how much Lizzy looked like her mother. The older she got, the more she resembled Elizabeth Stevens. "I advise traveling in a group. It's probably the safest thing."

"She can't be as bad as all that," Grace insisted. The beauty in Aunt Grace was she always wanted to believe the best in everyone.

"It's her 65th birthday!" Lizzy drawled in response.

"Are we really that old?" Davis asked with a sigh.

"No, Bryce is 70," Lizzy said with a sweet smile as she looked at her serious brother, who appeared non-plussed by her statement.

"Ouch!" Alistair said, smothering a smile at the insult directed at his father. "That was a low blow, Aunt Lizzy!"

The elevator door dinged behind them, and a few more Stevens spilled into the hallway.

"Why are we all out here?" Alice asked with a frown. "Has Trisha finally lost it?"

Aunt Alice was with Uncle Rainer and their daughters, Mave and Beth.

"Where is Wyatt?" Lizzy asked.

"He's with the kids. He remembered that Aunt Trisha was turning 65 before I did, so he called babysitting duty." Beth sighed.

"Who else is coming?" Lizzy asked.

"I think this is all." Grace did a headcount. "The others that are in town or all at the theater."

Lizzy nodded. "Let's go, and remember, watch your backs."

"Keep your head down!" Alistair whispered.

"Stick to the shadows!" Mave hissed.

"And whatever you do, do not look her directly in the eyes, or she will turn you into stone!" Davis added.

Agatha kept herself back from the rest of the group, watching as they charged forward. They would draw attention when they entered, they always did, and she wanted to blend in, in case Merrick was there.

She had worn the cream silk dress that she had bought in Germany. She had worn it in part for Merrick but also because she didn't have anything else. Part of her had wanted to run out and buy something new, but the other part of her wanted to remind him, if he was there, of how happy they had been.

Taking a deep breath, Agatha slowly entered the apartment. Her family had already scattered in different directions like they always did at parties. They always knew someone.

Looking at the room overflowing with people, Agatha felt a moment of panic. The last time she had been in a place this full was in the hospital after Eli's concert. The only good thing about it was that it would be difficult to find anyone she knew in the crowd.

Pushing her way toward the bar, she ordered a whiskey and made her way for the fresh air of the balcony. She hadn't taken off the coat she had borrowed from her mother, so it was easy to wrap it a little tighter around herself and lean into the wind as she looked at the lights below.

Her family was right. She had to snap out of it. It was hard to know that you couldn't have what you wanted most in the world. She could be patient for the rest of her life, and Merrick might never have a change of heart. She didn't know how long she stood there, and when she heard a voice, it caused her to jump.