VII

07 | seven.

DANCING WITH THE DEVIL

    The night had gone on fairly well, despite Mrs. Bennet intoxicating herself within the first hour and Lydia making a fool of herself with the militia.

Elodie had successfully managed to avoid Mr. Collins with the help of Lizzy and Charlotte Lucas who had found the two Bennet sisters hiding in a corner of the ballroom.

    Even though she had not seen his face amongst the crowd for quite some time, her eyes still flickered over everyone's faces nervously in case he happened to catch her by surprise.

    "I'm so dearly sorry that that man has been harassing you so." Charlotte comforted as she held onto Elodie's shoulder, a sad dip in her brow as she hated to see her friends suffering.

    If she could send that man all the way back to the bridge he crawled out from, she would without a question in her mind.

    Elodie smiled thankfully as her eyes continued to scour her surroundings. "You are far too kind, Charlotte. I am just thankful that this ball is here to distract him from my presence." Lizzy chuckled to herself. "I cannot wait until he has had enough of our company and leaves."

    "Lizzy! Mr. Wickham is not here." The three women turned around as Jane bounded up to them, a worrisome look on her pretty face. Lizzy frowned immediately as she grasped her sisters hands in hers. "Why?"

    "Apparently he has been detained."

    "Detained where? Why, he must be here!"

    "There you are." Elodie whipped around with eyes as wide as saucers as Mr. Collins suddenly appeared behind her, almost out of thin air. Charlotte sucked in air as she watched the disdain and discomfort grow on Elodie's face, her body now rigid.

"Mr. Collins..." She managed to say eventually, the man staring up at her obliviously. The company bowed to each other.

    "If you will do me the honor, Miss Elodie." She furrowed his brow in confusion, only remembering her promise as his eyes traveled over to the ballroom. "Oh!" She exclaimed, her thoughts whirring in dismay as they failed to come up with a sensible excuse to decline.

   "I thought you would have forgotten about my promise." She said with a sickening grin, very much so wishing he would have. "Oh, hardly! You know, several people have complimented me on my..." He bounced up on the balls of his feet. "Lightness of foot. Shall we?"