X

10 | ten.

ACCOUNTABILITY

ACCOUNTABILITY.

"I just don't understand. What caused Mr. Bingley to leave so suddenly?" Elodie said as the tip of her thumb rested upon her lower lip. Jane sighed softly and handed over the letter she had received. "You can read it, I don't mind."

   Elodie narrowed her eyes slightly, and with strong hesitation she grasped the letter in her hand and unfolded its contents.

"Mr. Darcy is impatient to see his sister and we are scarcely less eager to meet her again..." Elodie's tongue tasted bitter at the mention of her rival. Of course he was involved in all of this. She wouldn't be surprised if this was some scheme he surmised to rid himself of her "tolerable" presence.

"I really do not think Georgiana Darcy has her equal for beauty, elegance, and accomplishment, so-much-so that I hope to hereafter call her sister. Caroline Bingley." Elodie was absolutely astonished by the writing in the letter as she flipped it from front to back multiple times.

She must have read that wrong, especially after the couple had gotten along so kindly at the assembly ball and Netherfield ball.

"Is that not clear enough?" Jane said with a slight edge to her voice, clearly disturbed. Lizzy took the letter from Elodie and shredded it in half, eyes aflame. Jane leapt forward and picked up the pieces, looking down at them. It was really all she had left of him at that point.

"It is obvious that Caroline knows he's in love with you and has taken him up to persuade him otherwise." She said, finally revealing her thoughts on the conniving Bingley sibling.

    Elodie had the same opinion as Lizzy, especially after the way Caroline treated them when they had stayed at Netherfield.

Jane shoved the letter in her bedside table and stared after Lizzy as she dove into their closet. "But I know her to be incapable of willfully deceiving someone!" She argued, now looking at the second eldest for some support on the matter. Elodie merely shrugged.

Lizzy popped out, gave Jane a disapproving glare, and went back in. "It's far more likely that he never loved me and never will."

Elodie furrowed her brows at her sister and shook her head. "He loves you, Jane!" She shouted, perhaps a bit too angrily. "You cannot give up now. I've seen with my own eyes how much he enjoys being around you so do not let him slip away so easily."