XV

fifteen | 05.

UPON MY WORD

UPON MY WORD.

AS SOON as Elodie had walked through the threshold of Longbourn, weary after a long carriage ride from Kent and a particular letter heavy on her mind, Mrs. Bennet pounced upon her like a cat to a ball of yarn.

Elodie would say she missed the chaotic nature of the household, but she enjoyed her time away very much.

She had already missed Charlotte loads and was even more surprised to say that she had not been bothered by Mr. Collins' presence as much as she thought she would.

"How fortunate that you've arrived, dear." The old woman crowed as she stripped her daughter's coat from her shoulders. "Your aunt and uncle Gardiner are here to deliver Jane from London!"

Elodie's face fell slightly in concern. With the new knowledge of Darcy's separation tactics, she had never felt more horrible for Jane. Especially since she knew that deep down in her heart, Bingley would not make himself known to the eldest Bennet daughter.

"Is she alright? Tell me, mamma." Mrs. Bennet let loose a weary sigh and made haste, leaving Elodie to trail after her all the way to the drawing room.

Indeed, the question of Jane's state was unknown to Elodie as she watched her sit upon the plush couch in the center of the room, needle and thread in her hand as she embroidered with a delicate smile.

Lizzy sat across from Jane, eyes trained carefully as if she would snap at any moment.

It was only when Mrs. Bennet left the three alone that Elodie sat beside Jane with a worried crease between her brows. "He did not come, did he?" She muttered, grasping her sister's hand to stop it from embroidering mindlessly.

"I'm quite over him, I promise." Jane lowered her head. "If he had passed me in the street I'd hardly notice. London is just so diverting." Lizzy and Elodie shook their heads simultaneously, making Jane sit up straighter. "It's true! There's so much to entertain."

Elodie would have believed Jane based on the poor girl's sheer conviction alone if she had not been her sister.

If she had not known better than to believe the false smile that she painted upon her lips.

And if she had not been made aware of Darcy's folly plans.

"What news of Kent?" Elizabeth asked as the tension grew between the two eldest. Elodie sighed and shrugged, though her face visibly darkened. "Nothing." She said, thankful for a moment's peace.