III

three | 03.

RADIANT.

    Rain was a dastardly thing that brought the most wretched and tedious colds with it

    Rain was a dastardly thing that brought the most wretched and tedious colds with it. Perhaps, Elodie Bennet thought, their mother knew that it did. Even then it did not provide the woman with good enough reason as to why she sent her eldest daughter out in it with merely a thin shawl for protection.

    "Mamma you are the most evil creature I've met in my life!" Elodie complained before the family went to bed, her mind full of worry for Jane Bennet. Mrs. Bennet, with her hands on her wide hips, merely sent her a glare. It was a challenge to test her patience one more time.

    Two days had passed before the family had received anything from Jane. Word came in the form of a neatly put together letter. It said that she had grown ill from the downpour she had been caught up in and had been confined to a bed per Mr. Bingley's most adamant request. Of course, Mrs. Bennet, the conniving and scheming woman she tended to be, was overjoyed at the fact for now Mr. Bingley would have time to fall even more in love with Jane.

    Elodie, however, felt pity for her older sister. The poor thing must have felt so uncomfortable overstaying her welcome like that. "I think I ought to go to Netherfield and check on Jane's well-being for myself." Elodie said to her mother as they stood in the kitchen, Elizabeth inviting herself to go as well for she was very close to Jane.

Mrs. Bennet agreed to her decision but warned to not bring her eldest home early.

    And so the girls began to walk the miles to Netherfield, indulging themselves in entertaining conversation and laughing at each other as they trudged through mud and tall grass. "Do you think Janey fancies Mr. Bingley? Or do you think she's just doing it to please mamma?" Elodie asked as she hoisted Elizabeth over a fence.

Elizabeth, with a sudden hard glaze to her eyes, nodded her head sharply. "I would say she does like him. Though, I cannot know for sure as she is very evasive about her feelings."