Chapter 3- Unappreciated

Woke up this morning and saw your face
And you didn't look the same as yesterday
I got the feeling that you can't seem to see where you want to be
And lately it ain't been the same at all- Cherish

Lauren's POV

I sat across the table from Mario staring into his brown eyes. For some reason things felt different, he was different. I know being locked up could change a person but I had no idea who this man was I was sitting across from.

He glanced around the room before looking at me. "Where's the kids?"

"With Lolita & Roland." I sat my two thousand dollar purse down on the table as an awkward silence filled our space.

"I can't wait to be with you and the kids. My lawyer is trying to get my sentence reduced to six months."

My eyes lit up with joy. "Are you sure she's going to be able to do that?"

He blew out a deep breath. "Don't start with that negative shit, Lauren."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Negative—I'm generally happy to be hearing the big news. Why are you starting with me, Mario?"

It seemed as if all our visits always consisted of us going back and forth.

"You haven't been to see me in over two months!" He snapped. "I haven't seen my kids."

This time I blew out a deep breath before smacking my lips. "You know I don't want them to see you like this. I thought we agreed on that."

He rubbed his face. "I know, I'm just under a lot of stress."

"Is there something you need me to handle?" I whispered.

"I got allat. You just worry about takin' care of the kids."

I sighed. "Alaina is letting the boys come this month. I'm sure Braylon is going to want to talk to you."

He rubbed his hand down his face. I know he missed his children tremendously.

"As soon as I get out I'm going to take them somewhere. I'm missing out on a lot."

"Your time is up!" A woman officer snapped. "You gotta get back to your cell." She added while rolling her eyes.

Rio stood to his feet and placed his hands behind his back for her to handcuff him. I couldn't help but notice how annoyed he was.

Disgust filled my face as I stood too. "We're not done talking. It hasn't been thirty minutes."

She looked me up and down. "Didn't you hear me say that his time was up? Finish your conversation with the next visit."

I don't know who this bitch thought she was talking to but before I could give her a piece of my mind Rio interrupted me.

"Officer Moseley, we good." He said attempting to de-escalate the situation before turning to look at me. "I love you."

My jaw and fist clenched as I watched her take him away. I missed him so much and hated that our time together was being cut short. Mainly because we spent most of it bickering with each other.

"I love you too." I mumbled as a large lump formed in the back of my throat.

***

"How'd everything go?" Lolita asked as I walked through the front door.

"The usual bickering and then him being sent back." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I don't know how much more I can take."