x. SUDDEN DEATH

TEN

TEN.
SUDDEN DEATH

The room echoed with the sound of knuckles hitting bone and steel, punctuated by muffled thumps and groans. Every noise was amplified in the hollow structure, the low ceilings doing nothing to stop cracks and cries from ringing out.

The ceiling was supported by heavy steel pillars covered in red and white targets and silhouettes, riddled with old bullet holes. The only light came from the panels of fluorescent lights up above, illuminating the figures sparring below. The air was stale and metallic, and smelled like sweat and blood.

Bex loved it.

She loved the way her heart leapt to life, pumping with adrenaline, and the bruises stamped on her skin like medals. The Arena was where combat training took place, day after day. They spent hours down here in the damp darkness, fists colliding. Merlin subjected them to drills similar to medieval torture techniques as they did push-up after push-up and pummeled punching bag after punching bag. They ran endless miles, but Bex didn't even really mind anymore. With every kick and hit she felt her body growing stronger, until she no longer ached when she came home.

And after ten long months, home was what it was.

Without realizing it, she had slowly fallen into a routine. She was growing used to the rough sheets on her cot, the half light that seeped over the horizon during early-morning target practice, the sound of Eggsy's laugh in her ear. Even Merlin and his stupid clipboard were familiar to her.

"Giving up so soon?" A voice broke through her thoughts.

Eggsy's grinning face loomed over from where she sat on the edge of one of the many blue mats lining the floor. Bex had flopped down there after going up against Roxy, a purple bruise slowly forming on her chin as proof. She grinned. She wiped her forehead with the back of her hand, feeling the constant sheen of sweat that coated her body during combat training. The damp humidity of the Arena left everything covered in a thin layer of moisture.

"You wish," Bex scoffed, climbing back to her feet and joining him in the center of the mat.

She raised her fists in a decisive stance as they circled one another. Her pulse echoed in her ears as she flexed her fingers and breathed out. Eggsy watched her, his gray eyes flicking up and down, trying to anticipate her. He lunged forward and she quickly sidestepped his arm as it swung in an arc.

"Cute," she remarked, throwing her elbow into his chest.

He blocked three of her punches, grabbing her fists and straining to hold them.

"I am cute, thank you for noticing."

Bex twisted her arm out of his hold, aiming her fist upward until it made contact with his nose. He let out a grunt and she grinned triumphantly until he hooked his leg around her ankle and jerked, throwing her to the floor. She hit the mat with a thud, feeling the air leave her lungs.