xv. PHOBIA

FIFTEEN

FIFTEEN.
PHOBIA

The next morning was subdued.

They ate breakfast in silence. Bex stared at her toast, unable to find the appetite to raise it to her lips. Even Rose, who had taken to eating with them, said nothing. Bex couldn't meet Roxy or Eggy's eyes, knowing in three hours she would be saying goodbye to one of them or all of them. She finally pushed her untouched plate away, her stomach churning, and stood up. Eggsy made a move to stand up and follow her, but Roxy shook her head imperceptibly.

When Bex reached the room, she stood in the middle of it. She watched her reflection in the mirror opposite her, the same one Eggsy had shattered nearly a year and a half ago. Her hair was pulled back in her usual ponytail, exposing her face. She looked too pale, the shadows under her eyes standing out against her waxy skin like bruises. Bex smoothed the front of her jumpsuit and tightened her belt. She pushed her hair back out of her eyes and let her hands rest on her forehead for a moment, her eyes fluttering shut.

She had made it this far. She had watched countless others come and go, but she had stayed. Bex had already done more than she ever thought she would in her life, made friends she never could have dreamed of. She tried to tell herself she would be okay. She would keep surviving.

The door opened behind her, and Bex jumped slightly. It was Eggsy, a tentative expression on his face.

"Merlin's ready for us. Roxy's already over there."

Bex bit her lip and nodded.

He hesitated, wavering in his spot in between the hall and the dormitory. He looked like he wanted to say something, but pressed his lips together at the last second and looked down at the floor instead.

She joined him in the doorway, taking one last look at the room where she had lived for so long. Then they set off down the hallway together. They walked in silence until they reached the unmarked door where Merlin had instructed them to meet him. There were three plastic chairs outside, Roxy sitting in one. Her back was straight and her chin was high, but her hands were shaking slightly. Bex sat next to her and placed a hand over her trembling ones, giving her a small smile.

"I love you two," Roxy blurted out suddenly. "You're my best friends, you know that? And no matter what happens in there, you'll still be my best friends."

Bex shifted uncomfortably, the back of her neck prickling. Those words should've been comforting, but they set her on edge. It was only a reminder that she had created something here she was destined to lose eventually.

Eggsy put his arm around Roxy's shoulders and squeezed her briefly before letting go.

"You've got nothing to be afraid of, Rox. You already conquered your worst fear, remember?"

Roxy nodded. Suddenly her name crackled through a small speaker next to the door in Merlin's voice. She looked up, eyes wide. Roxy took a deep breath before she stood up and walked to the door. She pulled it open and disappeared inside, leaving Eggsy and Bex alone.