xiii. THE TELL

THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN.
THE TELL

Eggsy Unwin was drunk.

Incredibly so, in fact. He spun slightly from side to side on the leather barstool. The black marble counter in front of him was already beginning to blur with the pulsing lights around him. The thumping base sounded far away, even though he could feel it under his feet and in his chest.

He had only had one glass of champagne, and yet he could barely feel the fingers wrapped around the glass in front of him. It should have worried him, but right now Eggsy welcomed the numb, warm feeling the alcohol brought.

The last thing he wanted to be was sober while Bex was off flirting with some guy.

They had been sitting together in the shiny leather booth with Roxy, but a tall boy with dark curls had asked her dance. He had kissed her hand, then flashed Eggsy a dimpled grin before leading her into the writhing mass of people. Bex had turned to flash him an apologetic smile, but she didn't really look that sorry. He had let her go, and now he was sitting alone in this club, trying to forget he had.

The strobe lights bounced over bodies twisting in the dark like shadows, each flash bringing a piece of someone into the light. A hand reaching out, a mouth curled into a smile, an eye half-closed. Pieces of people, but never the whole story. His eyes raked over the length of the club, stopping every time they came across a head of dark hair.

A girl twirled, her black hair falling around her shoulders, and he straightened. Then a flash of pink illuminated her face and he saw that it wasn't Bex. Eggsy slumped back, tracing his empty glass with a finger.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder, and he jumped. Roxy slid sloppily onto the stool next to him, a playful grin on her face. He hadn't even noticed she was gone.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you sulking?"

Eggsy tucked his chin into the crook of his arms, where he had crossed them and planted him on the table. He stuck out his lower lip as he stared at the brightly lit wall of bottles across from him.

"I'm not sulking," he said petulantly.

He was sulking.

Roxy scoffed. "You look like the halfway point of a romance movie. You know, when the guy and the girl fight and the guy sits alone in the rain being sad before they get back together."

"Yeah, except in my romance movie the guy and the girl never got together and never will," Eggsy mumbled.

Roxy scooted closer and squinted at him. She wobbled slightly as she placed her chin in the palm of her hand.