First girl best friend

We walked into the great hall. Lynn went to the green table and, I went to the red table. I sat down next to Hermione with Harry and Ron in front of us. 

Dumbledore had got to his feet. How did he get here so fast? He was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see all of us here.

"Welcome!" he said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"                                                                  "Thank you!"

He sat back down. Everybody clapped and cheered. Me and Lynn made eye contact, and she let out a little giggle. Suddenly the dishes were now pilled with food. There were all types of food; roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup, and, for some strange reason, peppermint humbugs.

"That does look good," said the ghost in the ruff sadly, watching Harry cut up his steak.

"Can't you -?" started Harry

"I haven't eaten for nearly four hundred years," said the ghost. "I don't need to, of course, but one does miss it. I don't think I've introduced myself? Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington at your service. Resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower."

"I know who you are!" said Ron suddenly. "My brothers told me about you – you're Nearly Headless Nick!"

"I would prefer you to call me Sir Nicholas de Mimsy –" the ghost began stiffly, but sandy-haired Seamus Finnigan interrupted.

"Nearly Headless? How can you be nearly headless?"

Sir Nicholas looked extremely miffed, as if their little chat wasn't going at all the way he wanted.

"Like this," he said irritably. He seized his left ear and pulled. His whole head swung off his neck and fell onto his shoulder as if it was on a hinge. Somebody had tried to behead him, but not done it properly. Looking pleased with the stunned looks on our faces, Nearly Headless Nick flipped his head back onto his neck, coughed, and said, "So – new Gryffindors! I hope you're going to help us win the house championship this year? Gryffindors have never gone so long without winning. Slytherins have got the cup six years in a row! The Bloody Baron's becoming almost unbearable – he's the Slytherin ghost."

When everyone had eaten as much as they could, the remains of the food faded from the plates, leaving them sparkling as clean as before. A moment later the puddings appeared. Blocks of ice cream in every flavor you could think of, apple pies, treacle tarts, chocolate éclairs and jam doughnuts, trifle, strawberries, Jell-O, rice pudding...

"I'm half-and-half," said Seamus. "Me dad's a Muggle. Mom didn't tell him she was a witch 'til after they were married. Bit of a nasty shock for him."

The others laughed.

"What about you, Y/N?" said Ron. This caught Hermione's attention.

"Well, my mom was a wizard..." I started but Neville cut me off.

"Was?" I just nodded. "I'm sorry." 

"It's quite alright Neville. I'm not sure about my dad. We don't talk much." I said, telling the least I could. "What about you, Neville?"

"Well, my gran brought me up and she's a witch," said Neville, "but the family thought I was all-Muggle for ages. My Great Uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off my guard and try to force some magic out of me – he pushed me off the end of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned – but nothing happened until I was eight. Great Uncle Algie came round for dinner, and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles when my Great Aunt Enid offered him a meringue and he accidentally let go. But I bounced – all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all pleased, Gran was crying, she was so happy. And you should have seen their faces when I got in here – they thought I might not be magic enough to come, you see. Great Uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my toad."