Troll

Harry, Ron, and I thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure and we were quite keen to have another one. In the meantime, Harry filled us in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and I spent a lot of time wondering what could possibly need such heavy protection.

"It's either really valuable or really dangerous," said Ron.

"Or both," I said.

But all we knew for sure about the mysterious object was that it was about two inches long, we didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues.

Hermione, however, showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor. She was now refusing to speak to Harry and Ron, but she simply can avoid me. All Harry and Ron kept repeating is how they really wanted to get back at Malfoy, and to their great delight, just such a thing arrived in the mail about a week later.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall, as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls. I was just as interested as everyone else to see what was in this large parcel, and I was amazed when the owls soared down and dropped it right in front of Harry, knocking his bacon to the floor. They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcel.

I looked at him while he read the letter after he finished he passed it to both me and Ron.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor M. McGonagall

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

"Congrats Harry," I said smiling at him.

We left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before our first class, but halfway across the entrance hall, we found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle. Draco seized the package from Harry and felt it.

"That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Ron clearly couldn't resist it.

"It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

"Hey, Hey stop please both of you. Draco you don't know what happens in Ron's home so don't talk about his financial problems please, and Ron let's just not brag please," I said before the argument got worse.

Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Draco's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Draco quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," said Harry, obviously fighting not to laugh at the look of horror on Draco's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," he added.

Harry, Ron, and I headed upstairs, the two of them were smothering their laughter at Malfoy's obvious rage and confusion.

"Well, it's true," Harry chortled as we reached the top of the marble staircase, "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on the team...."

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" came an angry voice from just behind us.FUCK! Hermione was stomping up the stairs, looking disapprovingly at the package in Harry's hand.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" said Harry.

"Yes, don't stop now," said Ron, "it's doing us so much good."

Hermione marched away with her nose in the air. Should I follow her? Yea, I probably should. I ran after her. How could she be so fast? She was just walking!  I saw her go into the library. I walked towards the table she was sitting.