3

“What?” I asked, confused by her reference. “What are you talking about?”

“You don't remember me? Montse, St. Patricio, History class?” She cocked her head forward, brows wriggling excitedly

It hit me then why she'd seemed so familiar. The two of us had attended the same high school. We'd even once been made partners for a full semester in the history class we'd shared.

Even back then, she'd been extremely boisterous and so irritatingly pushy that I'd made sure to avoid her as much as I could.

In times it'd been strictly necessary for us to meet to do a project work together, I'd made sure sure to keep the meetings as brief as possible.

“You?” A heaviness that I couldn't explain settled in my chest.

“You remember me finally? Thank God.” She made a dramatic show of placing her hand on her heart, then she was jumping up and down suddenly. “I can't believe it's you. You never really did grow any tall.”

I grimaced at the teasing note in her voice. I'd always hated it when people teased me for my size. Thank God the two of us were of the same height.

Her smile faltered. “I mean, of course you did grow taller than you were in High school. Just not that... Never mind. Me and my big mouth. Anyways, I'm so happy to see you history partner!”

The next thing I knew, she'd thrown herself at me in a hug I hadn't foreseen. Despite how brief the hug was, I swear that it sent jolts of electrifying sensations sizzling from my chest down to my very toes.

I stood frozen even after she'd pulled back, her megawatt smile was still on her face. “I did get your name correct, right? You know why I called you the boy who never said thank you?”

How could I forget? A girl back in high school had been making a lot of advances towards me but I'd rejected her several times. Then she decided to take revenge after I'd pushed her to the floor one day by accusing me of trying to force myself on her in the ladies urinal to the school authorities.

Montserrat had stood up for me and defended me even though the girl had been one of her closest friends. Thanks to her, I'd benn saved firm getting dismissed, or worse still, arrested.

Never having been high on sentiments, whenever I'd wanted to say thank you, it'd felt like I was wringing it out of myself, so I decided not to say it altogether.

Suddenly, it hit me hard like a sucker punch to the stomach that this woman was as innocent as she seemed on first sight.

My instincts had never failed me, and right now, it was telling me that she was innocent. If I'd killed her, I would've done it on account of manipulation.

Fury danced through my veins, making me fist my hands beside me. Mateo and his mother had attempted to make me kill an innocent woman despite all the warnings I'd given them.

“Hey, are you okay?” Montserrat's voice drew me out of my mental rage. She raised her hand to touch me, but I turned away immediately.

“I need to leave.”

“At least say goodbye.” She called after me when I began walking away. “Didn't you say you were lost? At least let me escort you so that you can find the way easier! Ugh, block of granite!”

That was the last thing I heard her say as I hurried away impatiently.

Locating the site where I'd parked my motorcycle, I quickly mounted it. I was feeling incensed, furious, and I was probably gonna beat the hell out of Mateo when I saw him.

I'd done some digging to find out where Mateo and his mother lived, and I rode straight to their mansion. I came to a stop in front of a security guard standing before the gate.

“Who are you?” His eyes scanned me curiously but his stance told me he was ready in case this was an attack.

“I need to see the Valdezes.” I replied cooly, still simmering with the rage I'd come with.

“That wasn't my question. Who are you? I need to know before I can...”

The butt of my gun came down on his head. He let out a confused sound before his eyes closed and he fell to the ground, unconscious.

No time for time wasters.

Putting my gun back inside my jacket, I stepped across the guard's body and entered the house. The building had a stunning exterior.

That was my first thought, but at this moment, I had zero time to take in everything. I broke down the door of the main building and surged inside.

Mateo and his mother were sitting at the dining table with a woman who looked to be a maid clearing their plates and leaving after that.

They both looked up as I approached before Mateo gave his mother an I told you so smile. He then stood up to meet me halfway.

“Dude, I knew you were as efficient as they said.” He raised his hand to clasp mine.

Accting like I wanted to shake his hand too, I twisted his arm behind his back, making sure I slewed it enough that his hand touched the left scapula of his back. He screamed in instant shock and pain.

“What are you doing?” His mother demanded sounding startled. “Let go of my son this instant!”

That only made me twist the arm more callously, causing Mateo to scream louder. I brought my lips to his ear and ground out, “You fucking lied to me. You fucking tried to make me kill an innocent woman.”

“What the heck are you talking about, man? I. . . ahh...” He screamed as I added some more twist. “Fucking shit that hurts. Ahh...”

“This deal is off." I muttered through gritted teeth still at his ear. “And don't you even dare think of asking for your money back.”

When I spoke again, I made sure I was looking his mother in the eyes. “I don't know what your problem is with her or why you want her dead, but she's innocent. If I find out that you've hurt even a single hair on her head, I'm going to chop your dick and shove it up your ass.”

I finally let go of his arm, pushing him away and watching him fall to the floor. He lay there pathetically groaning, unable to move his arm due to his dislocated shoulder.

His mother looked at me as if to hurl every insult in the world at me but a dark look made her shut her mouth as I turned to leave.

“Fuck you!” Mateo called out just when I'd reached the door. His voice was hoarse from the pain. “You allow some woman to charm you with her lies. Freaking pussy.”

I spun around sharply, glaring daggers at the idiot who didn't have enough sense to shut up. I would've gone down and beaten him to a pulp, but I looked at his mum, saw the terror in her eyes, and I decided not to act on his provocation.

Otherwise, the woman would be in tears by the time I was done.

I left without a word more.

_____________________

Mateo sure deserved that. What do you think is going to happen hereon?
LOL
–E!