Chapter 5: Maybe they start to like each other, idk

Colson's POV: 

Another day in this hellhole. 

I tie a scarf around my neck, trying to cover a large bruise that has appeared on the side of it,  but I pull it off because it looks like shit on me. 

I walk in through the school gates, shoving the scarf into the pocket of my jeans.

Social Studies. It's not my favorite class, but I don't hate it either. I'm neutral about it.

I take my usual seat near the back, and pull out my stuff, trying to pay attention to whatever the teacher says, although my mind keeps wandering off. 

"Now," she says, clapping her hands together. "I have some great news"

I start to pay attention. What could be the great news?

"You have a group project."

Nearly everyone in the room groans. Group projects are a nightmare. 

"Now, you will each be assigned with a partner."

The groaning intensifies. It's even worse when you can't pick who to work with.

"Alright, so.." the teacher begins announcing different names, each responded to with silence or the occasional graoan. My mind wanders off again, but then she announces my name.

"Mr. Baker, you will have to be assigned with" her eyes swivel around the room. 

I cross my fingers as I hope that I end up with someone good. Hopefully a girl.

"Mr. Harrison."

Who's last name ends in Harrison? I know everybody in this class period.

Except for that exchange student. What even is his name?

Oh no...

Don't tell me...

He picks up his stuff and moved towards me. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

"It's fine, I guess," I say. I'll just deal with this.

"Thanks, mate" he slides down into the chair next to me.

Wow, mate. So quirky.

"So," I say, wanting to start small talk even though I am not a fan of it. I'm a happy introvert. "What do you want to do for the project?"

The guy's eyes light up. I notice that they're shockingly green, almost like a lime. Yet, they look more natural than a lime. But limes are natural, they come from nature. What am I doing, comparing some idiot's eyes to a lime?

"I have a lot of ideas for that. Maybe we should do something related to the Stonewall Riots. Or maybe, we could base our project on the suffragette movement. I also feel like-"

"Woah, slow down," I say.

He snickers, leaning in playfully. "Have any ideas?"

"No" is all that leaves my mouth.

"So which do you want to do then?"

I shrug. "I'm fine with anything"

"Oh come on, just pick one" he sighs with dramatic expiration.

"No, you pick" it's funny to see the false annoyance on his face.

"I swear to god-" he runs his fingers down my chin.

"I'm not ticklish," I respond emotionlessly.

He continues tickling me, in an attempt to make me start giggling.

I smirk. It's hilarious to see how hard this guy is trying.

I shoot my hand out at him.

"Don't you dare" he says, pulling away from me.

"I do dare," I whisper, and start tickling his neck.

"You. Absolute. Wanker'' he pulls further away from me, still laughing intensely.

I smirk. "You see how that feels?"

"Whatever." he rolls his eyes. "Not what do you want to base the project on?"

I pause for a moment and then reply with the final, great answer. "Stonewall."

"Great!" he replies excitedly. "Now let's get going. What's your name by the way?"

"Colson," I say.

"Coleslaw. Got it."

I grit my teeth. "No, fuckhead. It's Colson."

"Yeah, that's what I said. Coleslaw." a cheeky smile appears on his face, making me want to slap him.

"I hate you," I say nonchalantly, dramatically burying my face into my hands.

"I hate existing" he replies, still smirking. "Now come on, we don't have all day to get started with this project"

I pull my hands away from my face. "Wait a moment, what's your name. I bet it's something fancy. What is it then? Harry? Ron? Harold? King Charles?"

"Do I look like I'm from Harry Potter?" he clicks his tongue. "Although that would be cool. Imagine just being able to cast everybody away with a flick of a wand." he picks up a pencil and then exclaims. "Abracadabra"

I fold my arms. "I'm immortal. You can't kill me at all."

"I bet I could if I wanted to," he brushes his fluffy, neon-red hair out of his face. I'm not going to lie, that color actually is kind of cool.

"Shut up, Ron, and let's get on with the project." I pull out a pen and some post-it notes, attempting to look more productive. "Now what do you know about the Stonewall riots?"

"I think I'm more like Fred. And now, let me tell you everything about Stonewall." his eyes flicker, and he immediately starts talking extremely fast"The Stonewall riots, which are also known as the Stonewall Rebellion-"

"Woah, talk slower," I say, but there's no stopping him now.

" -are a series of spontaneous protests by members of the queer community in response to a police raid that began in the early morning hours of sometime in the summer of 1969, at the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighborhood."

I scribble everything down on random post-it notes as he continues speaking in a flash. I'm kind of concerned now. How does he even breathe while talking at this rate?

I continue writing everything until I am nearly out of post-its. I would stop by Walmart to get some more, but I don't have any money at all. I think I might have five dollars under the carpet in my room though, but I need to save that for-

"That's about everything I know." red-haired guy says. "But I know that there's a lot more to it."

"There definitely is." I feel like I'm a teacher now, but this has to be said. "You said literally nothing about the days this occurred, other than things like 'some time in summer 1969.'"

He crosses his arms. "Do you really expect me to know everything? Besides, I'm bad at remembering dates."

"I am as well," I confess.

"Now we're even." he looks me directly in the face.

Just then, the bell rings.

"Well, see you the next time we have this class." he stands up and starts to walk away.

It's kinda disappointing to see him go. He might be a moron, but there's just something about him that's kind of fun.

"Wait" I grab my stuff and start walking after him. "Can we meet sometime to... work on the project?"

"Sure." he shrugs.