Carnival games pt. 3

Same warnings! Plus near death experiences and kissing!

~~~

Ellis paced the safehouse, glancing over at Emma's body laying still on the ground. The other four had found her in a puddle of blood and rushed her to the saferoom, healing her as best they could. She still hadn't woken up yet. Ellis stared at her, watching her tranquil face for slight movement as she breathed. He walked over, taking her hand in his and kissing it, willing his tears not to escape. The others had been giving him space, and now Nick came over.

"Hey, Ellis, how are you holding up?" he asked, voice soft.

Ellis sniffled, trying not to break down. "I'm worried sick..."

"Of course you are," Nick replied, wrapping a strong arm around his shoulders.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Ellis asked, looking toward him, terrified.

Nick sighed, shaking his head. "I don't know..."

Ellis' frown deepened. He returned his gaze to Emma's face, watching for anything that would tell him that she was going to be waking up. Ellis felt Nick leave his side, touching his and Emma's shoulders for a moment before moving towards the others in the corner of the room. He sighed, pressing Emma's hand to his forehead before kissing it again. On instinct, he mumbled a prayer under his breath hoping that, if there was some higher being out there, it would come and take pity on him and wake Emma up. Ellis was quiet after his prayer finished, sitting beside Emma with her hand against his lips. Nick came to her other side, taking her other hand in his and running his thumb over her bandages. The men shared a sorrowful look- pain and worry for their fallen love. They turned their attention back to Emma's face, watching her in silence. Her breathing was soft and quiet, gentle as she lay there.

Nick and Ellis shot up when her hands twitched. They shook off their surprise and moved closer to her again, hearing her groan and hiss in pain. Rochelle and Coach came over to see what was going on. They all felt a rush of happiness and relief as Emma stirred again. Her body twitched, legs kicking, fighting her way back into consciousness. Nick looked at her and then to Ellis' overjoyed face. He glanced at Rochelle and Coach before standing, whispering something to the two of them, glancing at Ellis. Ellis' face morphed into confusion as he saw it play out, wondering what was going on. Rochelle and Coach walked away, heading toward the door.

Nick looked over to Ellis, smiling. "I told them that you and Emma need space. We're going out just to clear the area, but not too far, okay?"

Ellis nodded, smiling in turn, grateful for the privacy. "Yeah, thanks man."

Nick nodded back, patting him on the shoulder. "No problem."

Ellis watched him leave with the others, closing the door after them before returning to Emma's side. She squirmed and shuffled, like she was having a nightmare. Ellis shushed her, putting her head in his lap so she wouldn't go bumping it on something in her fussing. He brushed a few strands from her face, holding her hand, waiting out the storm.

~

Emma hissed, twitching in pain. She moved her hand to her side feeling bandages there. Emma didn't remember bandaging herself up and grew confused with each passing second. Finally, she opened her eyes, blinking up at the harsh light above her. Something soft but firm sat under her head, confusing her further. She went to cover her eyes, but found the hand not wrapped around her stomach to be held up. A capped head came into view above , the face clearing a few seconds later revealing it to be Ellis' warm smile greeting her. She blinked up at him, also realizing that he was holding her hand hostage. Emma rubbed her eyes, thumb grazing a bandage on her cheek, trying to sit up and figure out what happened.