Carnival games pt. 4

And finally, the end! Hope you all enjoyed! All warnings are the same.

~~~

Emma sighed, leaning back against the wall as Ellis paced nearby. Nick and Rochelle were still out. It had been a good while since they got here and they showed no sign of waking, despite being long since healed. Coach sighed, folding his arms, looking towards them once more. A quiet cough sounded through the room, making everyone's heads shoot up. The cough was followed by a quiet choking sound. Coach rushed over to Rochelle, sitting her up and slamming his palm to her back. Rochelle coughed harder, gagging and choking as Emma and Ellis watched on. After a few more pounds against her back, Rochelle spat whatever had lodged in her throat from the earlier attack. Coach rubbed her back, looking over to Nick.

"What the hell happened?" Ro asked, voice hoarse, taking a bottle of water from Emma.

Emma shook her head, sitting back down. "We were ambushed, barely got through the horde."

Rochelle took a long drink, coughing again before clearing her throat. "Have any of you heard the chopper pass by?"

The three shook their heads and Rochelle's shoulders sank. A sharp hiss alerted the four to Nick. He twitched and spasmed on the ground, face twisted in agony. Ellis and Emma rushed to him, hands hovering over his body. Nick hissed once more, a gasp escaping him when he tried to roll on his injured side. His eyes burst open, leaking tears as Emma and Ellis turned him on his back and sat him up. Nick grasped at his side, cringing as he felt warm wetness.

"Ah, shit, his stitches broke!" Ellis said. "Emma, get another medkit!"

Emma did so as Ellis gently unwound the bandages adorning Nick's torso. Nick still cried out in pain, clutching Ellis' shirt, stray tears streaming down his face as the bandages refused to separate from his skin. Ellis furrowed his brow, yanking the soiled cloth away from Nick's ribcage as he muffled a shout into his shoulder. Emma tugged out the structure and thread, looking over the gash just below Nick's ribs. She took a cloth from her bag, wetting it with water, and cleaned the area as best she could. Ellis squeezed his shoulder, feeling him cringe with each touch. Emma ran the thread through the needle and, after pulling out the old stitches, began to sew Nick up again. He gasped, holding on to Ellis for dear life. Emma tugged the thread, making sure the stitching wasn't too close to the opening, not wanting to repeat her earlier mistake and cause Nick to rip his stitches again.

She tied it off and cut the thread, taking out a bottle of pills and water for him. "Here."

Nick took the items, hands trembling like an earthquake. "Gracias," he muttered.

Ellis took his wrists, steadying the other man's grip as he fumbled with the items. "Whoa now, buddy. Relax. Don't wanna be hurting yourself now, do we?"

Nick sighed, taking the pills and water much slower than before. "How long have I been out?"

Emma shook her head, standing and getting a gun. "Hour or so at least."

Nick hissed, accepting Ellis and Emma's help up. "Goddamn it! We missed the chopper!"

"Now-" Rochelle coughed, sliding down from the table. "Don't say that! It could still be around!"

Nick frowned, taking a gun. "Well, even if it is, how the hell are we gonna signal it? It's not like we have the bat signal or some shit! Just admit it, Ro, we're doomed."

"Don't y'all start thinking that for one second longer, son," Coach said, voice clear and triumphant, calling everyone's attention. "I got us a plan." He pulled himself up to sit on one of the tables, folding his arms. "Y'all know the Midnight Riders? They're gonna save us."